Blends

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve_M

All things wine!
Reaction score
I have been going back and forth on what should be the first foray into using grapes.
First I thought hey, let's do a blend of Cab S., Merlot, Malbec and Sangiovese.
Then I went to Cab S., Merlot and P.V.
Then it was Cab S., Malbec, Cab Franc and P.V.
Now I'm thinking jeez first time with grapes why not go with a simple plan of Cab S. and Merlot final volume we would like is 20 gallons.
The math is easy roughly 10 lugs (more for any loss), I thought ok well we can do a blend of 75% Cab and 25% Merlot, better idea, then just do that with 10 gallons of the batch and reverse and make a Merlot 75%, Cab 25%.

I know overthinking it,

Thanks,

Steve

I like blending but always do it post fermentation. Is that what you are planning? It does allow fine tuning that way.

That is the next question to ponder.
Where I would love to have a chance to make a wine made from more than just Cab S. and Merlot, I think to keep it simple this year and allow a separate ferment to take place would be to just use the two grapes, then blend after.
If I were to get two 30 gallon Brutes, I could probably ferment 5 lugs in each?
I know weight then becomes the issue......
What's a beginner wine maker to do? LOL

Thanks,
Steve

To begin with I'd keep it simple.

I bought a commercial blended wine about a week ago. It was a Cab. Sav. Merlot blend. I liked it. Was an inexpensive imported wine from either Argentina or Chile, I forget which.

Hard to go wrong with a 75/25 or 80/20 Cab/Merlot 'field blend'. But if you want to ferment/age separately, then blend, you could do that as well. I did my first blend last spring with Chileans and just went w/ 50/50 cab merlot. It's going to be pretty darn good. This fall, I'm going with Cab, Syrah, and Petite Sirah and will make enough to ferment and age separately, then blend later.

Latest posts

Back