How Much Growth to the End of Season?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedSun

Gardener
Reaction score
I have some 1st year vines which are growing to 4' to 5' now. I'd like to see them grow to 6' for TWC. Not sure if they will have enough time since the fall is coming. They are strong vines, just damaged once by the deer. I hope I do not have to cut them down to the ground and train them again next year...

Everyone does this, me included. But you really want to cut it back next year. You get a straighter and stronger trunk, and it will grow to the top wire in a month next year.

Some have grown to 7' to 8' and the main trunk is already thicker than a pencil. The trunk has already turned woody. I do not think they should be cut down to ground....

Also, if we do cut down some of them, then they reach the TWC in one month, what do you do then? Starting training the cordons the same year?

Cutting them back will induce good growth, as Mary said. But you don't need to listen to his advice, I suppose.

In the second year - yes - train the trunk and if they grow more (which is likely if you trim them back), train the cordons. Then you will be set for fruit in the 3rd year.

Latest posts

Back