RJ Spagnols RJS Italian Amarone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TemperanceOwl

Reaction score
I've read so many positive reviews of several of the Amarone kits that I think I'll start one of the RJS ones this fall. But this is just based on the rave reviews…
Can anyone tell me how an Amarone (style) tastes compared to, say, a Chilean Carmenere, or a Merlot, or Cab? I just have no point of reference and have never seen one offered by the glass to try it.
Thanks!!
Owl.

You can get an Amarone at Trader Joe's for less than $30, or you can get a Valpolicella Ripasso for about $15 to 18 there. Either of these would give you an idea of what Amarone is like.

It is a big, very bold wine. Like Paul said, the Valpolicella Ripasso will give you some idea at a slightly lower price tag. A good one though is a little on the pricey side - my favorite being the Tommasi at around $25. I'd go the Trader Joe's route if you have one near you. Or if you don't mind buying a few bottles, you can very often get Amarone from WTSO at around $25, including shipping. You will probably have to buy a minimum of 4 bottles though.

Thanks for the recommendations, guys! I don't have a Trader Joe's near me, but I found a $19.99 Valpolicella Ripasso by Giuliana Rosati (? never heard of them). The descriptions from the family were "harsh", "bitter", "sour", and "your wine is a lot better than this!" :r
What do you think…? Are those fair descriptions of Amarone (not counting the last one)? I would expect a little bitter, but I expected smooth, not harsh, and definitely not sour. Should I give it one more try before giving up on the Amarone idea? The descriptions of the En Primeur sound SO good! :?
Thanks for your input!!
Nell

IMG_1221.jpg

Thanks for the recommendations, guys! I don't have a Trader Joe's near me, but I found a $19.99 Valpolicella Ripasso by Giuliana Rosati (? never heard of them). The descriptions from the family were "harsh", "bitter", "sour", and "your wine is a lot better than this!" :r
What do you think…? Are those fair descriptions of Amarone (not counting the last one)? I would expect a little bitter, but I expected smooth, not harsh, and definitely not sour. Should I give it one more try before giving up on the Amarone idea? The descriptions of the En Primeur sound SO good! :?
Thanks for your input!!
Nell

Your description of your Valpo is exactly the way I would describe En Premiur Amarone at 2 years. The wine is HUGE ! Didn't think there was a wine too big for my taste buds but this may be one. It is very bitter, still very hot tasting, astringent and rather harsh. It may wait another year or two before it's ready.

Last edited:
Your description of your Valpo is exactly the way I would describe En Premiur Amarone at 2 years. The wine is HUGE ! Didn't think there was a wine too big for my taste buds but this may be one. It is very bitter, still very hot tasting, astringent and rather harsh. It may wait another year or two before it's ready.

I have an EP Amarone at about 2 years now as well. I agree that the bitter, hot, harsh is there, though not too much. I still think it needs another year. I also have an EP Pinot Noir at the same age and it has the same characteristics. Some of my RJS limited release wines are also the same. I've been thinking these wines, like the Meglioli, just need more time to shine.

Wow, thanks for the feedback! Maybe this one is not for me at this point. Maybe I should set my sights on a Super Tuscan instead. I've only been at this for 10 months, so an Amarone may need to wait awhile.

A Super Tuscan is great, and will be ready sooner than an amarone. Mine was tasty at 6-8 months, which made me wish I'd made a double batch. :)

Back