My 2015 CRUSH experience - Whew!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4score

Reaction score
We are blessed to live here in the Sierra Foothills of California - in terms of access to great fruit. This year, the menu began with Barbera. We picked up 2000 pounds in two bins picked Saturday morning and we were crushing by mid morning. The fruit was still cold! This year we tried to up our game by adding a sorting tray to pull out any suspect grapes or clusters.

Brix was 28 and pH was 3.39.

Added 5 gallons of tap water to each bin.

Brix was 25.5 and pH was 3.46 - perfect per our plan!

Added 31.5 grams SO2 per bin (50 ppm) - dissolved into warm water

Green bin was placed into 65 degree winery storage room. White bin left in garage.

Temp on evening of 8/22 was Green 64 and White 71. Temp the morning of 8/23 was Green 63 and White 72.

Pitched D254 yeast on the afternoon of 8/23 to the bin in the cool storage room and D90 yeast to the other bin in the garage (starting with GoFerm). Plan is to blend these two bins after fermentation to make a more complex wine.

This morning (8/24), there was the start of a cap so fermentation has begun! Added 1/2 dose of Ferm-K to each bin.

My son Chris and I are doing this project with NorCal. Two more varietals are in the plans for the coming days (at NorCal's place). My son started a blog that spans topics of food, brewing, winemaking, and anything else that people might find interesting. He's got most of the Barbera experience on there already if you're interested;

http://www.epicnormallife.com

Cheers!
Mark (4score)

Last edited:
Hi John....there are some pictures and video on the blog I included. Let me know if that works.

Thanks!

Update....

At 5:30 PM yesterday, garage Bin 1 temp was 76-77. Temp of Bin 2 in the winery was 66.

At 8 PM Bin 1 brix was 23 - 23.5
At 11 PM Bin 2 temp was 67
Ice blocks added to Bin 1 as temp creeped to 81-83

This morning, at 7 am temp Bin 2 ~ 69 and brix 24.5 (started at 26.5), temp of Bin 1 ~ 85 and brix ~ 18 (hard to tell with foam), replaced ice .
At 8 am added 50 grams (second half dose) Ferm-K to Bin 1.

Bin 1 is going like gangbusters. Starting to get hot and I'm a bit worried about today as it's going to be a hot day and we could see peak Bin temps.

Bin 2 in the cooled winery is just taking its sweet time. Looks like these will finish far apart and we won't be able to press at one time. :(

Bin 1 in the garage is D80 and Bin 2 in the winery is D254.

Both are building wonderful caps.....fast. 60 seconds after punch down and that cap is back! I could sit a full ice block on the top and it won't sink...it just sits on top!

One thing I notice about this Barbera that seems different is the juice. It's VERY thick. I screen it TWICE before putting it in the hydrometer.....and even once in the hydrometer, it's thick and soupy.

Moving on...things going well here!

We've been making updates (pictures and video) to the blog.

Looks like the ole white bin needs more ice. That thing is cranking!

Hoping that since it's through to 6 brix or so, that it will start to cool off by now.

Comparing the two, with the different yeast and drastically different temps will be an interesting experiment and a fun blending exercise.

Latest update;

We moved the bin that was in the cool-room out into the warmer garage for this final push towards dry. We really want ONE pressing event for both bins.

Also, we have a crush video added to the blog -----> here.

Last edited:
Back