Cider

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troll

Reaction score
Is there a way to make a hard cider that will last for any amount of time. I have tried several commercial products and some are good but do not taste like real fresh hard cider. I like apple wine and some of the malt products but!!! They are not fresh hard cider. Is there a way?

You want aged fresh cider? If you use sulfites you can protect them from both bugs and oxygen, if you add some tannin apples and have the acid levels you can make cider that will last. Most of ours are in a carboy from when they are made after pickikng to just before we start to pick again. I dont know about the fresh part, ours taste like ciders aged for a year.

WVMJ

Is there a way to make a hard cider that will last for any amount of time. I have tried several commercial products and some are good but do not taste like real fresh hard cider. I like apple wine and some of the malt products but!!! They are not fresh hard cider. Is there a way?

I should have been more specific. When I said fresh cider I meant apple juice that had naturally turned into hard cider. I have made apple wine and like it but it's not the same. Maybe it's the carbonation or the lower alcohol that makes hard cider different. I have not tried low alcohol kits?

Apple Wine is Hard Apple Cider with a higher ABV (added sugar during fermentation).

You said you tried making the "commercial" stuff. Do you mean something like this:
http://brewandwinesupply.com/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=apple&product_id=1931

I'm thinking of trying to make hard apple cider this year. I should read up on it, but my thoughts are:

1) Fresh apple juice
2) Cider yeast (Nottingham?)
3) Bump up the SG (1.06)
4) Cold crash and racking to stop fermentation before going dry (1.004)
5) Some type of forced carbonation

My wife likes Crispin, so I will have to figure out how to reproduce that.

I figure if you k-meta and sorbate after Step 4 above, it should be stable like beer ("last for any amount of time")

Apple Wine is Hard Apple Cider with a higher ABV (added sugar during fermentation).

You said you tried making the "commercial" stuff. Do you mean something like this:
http://brewandwinesupply.com/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=apple&product_id=1931

I'm thinking of trying to make hard apple cider this year. I should read up on it, but my thoughts are:

1) Fresh apple juice
2) Cider yeast (Nottingham?)
3) Bump up the SG (1.06)
4) Cold crash and racking to stop fermentation before going dry (1.004)
5) Some type of forced carbonation

My wife likes Crispin, so I will have to figure out how to reproduce that.

I figure if you k-meta and sorbate after Step 4 above, it should be stable like beer ("last for any amount of time")

Rich, I believe you would probably be better off letting it ferment dry, stabalize, then sweeten it back. If any of the yeast makes it thru the cold crash and racking you have a pretty good chance of it refermenting. Course, that will give you the carbonation you want. Arne.

Back