Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billyrex

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm new here, and new to growing grapes. I have about 60 grape and muscadine vines, plus a few blackberries and fruit trees. I am a real novice. Most of what I know I learned by trial and error or from books and google.
My question is this. I have a vine that is everbearing. I have never heard of an ever bearing grape. It came from a seedling from a black spanish. It is on my front porch. I have a night light on the porch. Could the light at night cause it to continue to set fruit? It has set three crops this year. One is getting ripe now, one is full and the other is new.
Again, I'm just a novice; so there may be a simple answer.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi everyone.

I'm new here, and new to growing grapes. I have about 60 grape and muscadine vines, plus a few blackberries and fruit trees. I am a real novice. Most of what I know I learned by trial and error or from books and google.
My question is this. I have a vine that is everbearing. I have never heard of an ever bearing grape. It came from a seedling from a black spanish. It is on my front porch. I have a night light on the porch. Could the light at night cause it to continue to set fruit? It has set three crops this year. One is getting ripe now, one is full and the other is new.
Again, I'm just a novice; so there may be a simple answer.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Welcome to the forum! I am new too, though i have been reading the forums for upwards of 3 years.
To try to answer your question. continuous fruiting is a possibility with grapes, for example Henry fields just released a grape called RazzMatazz that has this unique ability.
When you say that its a seedling of Black Spanish (AKA Lenoir?) you mean that you took seeds from a true Black Spanish and germinated them? if so then this is a very interesting development.
i do not think that your light would be near bright enough to cause your vine to re-flower. for example when plants are started indoors with a fluorescent light the light needs to be inches from the plant for it to get sufficient light.
what are the grapes like? are they similar in quality as a black Spanish?

You sound like me. I have 60 muscadines, 1 grape, a row of blackberries and a couple of fruit trees. My muscadines are putting on new fruit. There are new grapes the size of pinheads now, in August. I clip them off, since they have no chance of ripening by the time they should go dormant. Oh, I have some elderberries, too.

the night light did not stimulate the additional clusters. Have you had excessive rains. grapes with high moisture and good nutrients will add a second crop, although small, under these conditions. You can leave them on the plant and they will ripen if season is long enough.

Back