Getting close!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got an email last week from my vineyard owner.

Chardonnay = 17.8 brix
Abouriou (Early Burgundy) = 18 brix

I need to bottle my 2013's ASAP or no carboys for 2015's!

Sierra Foothills - our Cab Franc is at 22 Brix today and Grenache is at 24!

Quality of grapes are good, but quantity is 20-25% down. Can't help but think this will drive up prices.

I live in Pittsburgh, and we source our Grapes from Lodi - not too far from Napa. I'd imagine the harvest will be similar to Napa. Good quality, and less quantity (referring to the article posted by boatboy24. Unfortunately, when I order my grapes, we never know how much it is per box until they arrive. Last year I was shocked how expensive grapes were.

Any thoughts about if I should expect prices to be higher this year than last (generally speaking). Especially considering a lower harvest...?

Thx.

Oh and Lodi is only 65 miles away from Napa but about a million miles away as far as grape prices go!

Last edited:
I haven't seen the prices from my supplier yet, but they did tell me very few varietals are seeing an increase, and some are going down.

Thanks for the input. Our supplier is offering, among many other varietals, Charbono, Aglianico, Montepulciano, Nero D'avola, Nebbiolo, and Sagrantino. Anyone here had any experience using or blending any of these grapes?

I typically do a Syrah, Zinfandel, and Alicante blend. But this year am eyeing the
Montepulciano.

Thx

I've recently 'discovered' Aglianico and I really like it. I'd go for that. I'd also be very tempted by the Nero and Nebbiolo.

well folks,

bottled from 10am until 3pm.

2013 is done and officially corked!

2015 crush season has now begun!

may God have mercy on my soul!

I am getting Brix reports every week from the vineyard owner. Got 3 more cases done today and pulled out 7 more cases from the shed that need to be run through the cleaning process.

I think I can, I think I can......... :)

Between our Zin, Mourvedre and Barbera, we should have the next three weekends booked! A labor of love!!:tz

Thanks for the input. Our supplier is offering, among many other varietals, Charbono, Aglianico, Montepulciano, Nero D'avola, Nebbiolo, and Sagrantino. Anyone here had any experience using or blending any of these grapes?

I typically do a Syrah, Zinfandel, and Alicante blend. But this year am eyeing the
Montepulciano.

Thx

I have made Montepulciano and tasted it in Italy, and it can be stellar.

Have also made Nero D'avola recently, and have Aglianico in a carboy now. I always check prices of the batches I make in commercial vintages and buy a bottle to see whether I like it before I make the wine, and the Aglianico is in the $20 range for the least expensive; Montepulciano can be in the $15-30 range. Nero was tough to find, but would be in that mid to high range. So it's cool to know that you're making something that has a retail value of $600+ per batch for Aglianico. More than that for Amarone. It definitely puts the cost to make the wine into perspective!

Heather

I received an email from Harford Vineyard that the website will "go live" soon, and to check back often. It is still NOT live today. I will post when I see that happen.
Heather

I received an email from Harford Vineyard that the website will "go live" soon, and to check back often. It is still NOT live today. I will post when I see that happen.
Heather

Bring it on! I'm ready.

BTW: Yesterday, I racked and stabilized the Aglianico (along with the LE super Tuscan). I went to Total Wine in the morning to buy some top up and sampling wines. I got a $10 Sangiovese/Cab/Merlot that was really nice - especially at that price point. Also picked up a 2008 Tenuta del Portale Aglianico del Vulture ($16). I've had this wine before and it is what made me decide to make this kit. It's really incredible. Dry with big tannins, backed by cherry, tobacco and licorice. Just awesome. Glad I picked up some extra for the wine rack. ;)

Latest posts

Back