hydrometer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordonm

Reaction score
trying a wine making kit for the first time. My first hydrometer reading was right on. My second should be at least 0.998 and it's pretty close but probably leaning more in the wrong direction. My question is, if the hydrometer reading isn't quite where it should be and needs to come down a little to say 0.996, how could that be corrected at this point. thanks, gordon

Calibrate the hydrometer with distilled water at the same temperature as the wine. Note which way you need to adjust to reach 1.000; if it reads 1.002 you need to subtract 0.002 when measuring the wine.

As Kraffty says, you are close. Monitor the SG for several days, if no change you are at the end point.

Since the reading is a relative number (meaning a difference between 2 readings and not a difference between a given value and a reading) it really doesn't matter if it is off by .002 or .020. If the wine is done, the value won't change. If you want the appx. alcohol value that is the difference between the first and last reading multiplied by 131.

It is much better if you have a calibrated hydrometer, or at least a known difference to a calibration, so your sugars are right to start with.

Hi gordonm. Not sure I fully understand your question. Why should the hydrometer need to come down to a specific reading? Indeed, how do you know what the reading "ought" to be? Your hydrometer will give you the reading of the density of the wine you are measuring (all other things - including the temperature of the wine being measured - being taken into account).

That reading is the result (as I am sure you know) of natural processes and that means that all kinds of factors can - and do affect the yeast's ability to ferment the sugars - factors that include the original concentration of sugar in the must, the temperature (and changes in the same) of the wine you are fermenting, the yeast itself, the turbidity of the wine, its acidity and so forth. If you are asking how you can help the yeast continue to ferment that is not really a question about your hydrometer (that is, the tool you are using to measure the wine) but about the wine being measured. Which is only to say that sometimes yeast will stop fermenting when there is still some fermentable sugar available for the yeast

Last edited:
trying a wine making kit for the first time. My first hydrometer reading was right on. My second should be at least 0.998 and it's pretty close but probably leaning more in the wrong direction. My question is, if the hydrometer reading isn't quite where it should be and needs to come down a little to say 0.996, how could that be corrected at this point. thanks, gordon

To answer your question I need a bit more info:

Where are you in the process?

Has the hydrometer reading been the same for three tests in a row?

What reading are you aiming for based on the kit instructions?

Note that your readings should keep going down over enough time. I just want to understand the issue.

Also, if you have a choice between time and hydrometer reading in kit instructions, always do whatever takes the longest amount of time.

Heather

Latest posts

Back