Too many cherries and no yeast!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MontanaWino

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm new here and signed up for advice on this particular problem.

I have recently acquired a LOT of cherries and thought the best way to make use of them would be to make wine! My problem is I live in the middle of nowhere where wine yeast is not available. I ordered some over the internet, however it won't get here until next week. I am worried the cherries will spoil by then. I was wondering if I could go ahead prep the cherries, mash em up in my bucket, and add a camden tablet. Does anybody think the must will hold up until I can pitch the yeast next week? I don't have enough freezer or fridge space for them, too many!

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I would freeze them and if you don't have any freezer space can you keep them in the frig or pack them in ice in a cooler?

Last edited:
next thing you know you'll be getting a freezer just for all the fruit you'll be collecting to make more wine!! IMHO it is best to freeze the fruit before you ferment, freezing helps to break down the fruit before it starts to ferment, which is a good thing! Welcome to Wine Making Talk neighbor to the north! I too, have a long way to travel to get wine making supplies, 150 miles one way! So now I always have supplies on hand!

Back