Help needed ref wine stopped

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichB

Junior
Reaction score
Hi..., I started a black currant as per recipe, transferred it to the demijohn after 6 days.., 3 days after its stopped bubbling.....??
Any guidance appreciated..
Thanks

Have you taken any gravity readings? It'll be hard to give any advice without knowing where it's at.

Rich,
94 is not an SG reading. It would be something like 1.094 or 1.080 or 1.100, etc.

Also, give us more detail such as the exact recipe, yeast used, is it under airlock now, etc.

No bubbles doesn't mean much at this point, especially without some much needed information.

Current sg reading is most important. If it's .995 or below, then fermentation is probably complete.

Steve

I followed this recipe

3lb black currants
3lb sugar
1 tsp citric acid
Wine yeast
Yeast nutrient

Crush the blackcurrants and place in a fermentation bucket. Boil the sugar and pour all the liquid over the blackcurrants. When cool add the citric acid, yeast nutrient and wine yeast. Cover and leave to ferment for five days, stirring daily. Using a fine sieve strain the liquid into a demijohn and fit an airlock to seal the jar.

As I said, after 3 or 4 days of transferring to demijohn it stopped bubbling...

My other wines have bubbled for weeks., so I'm thinking something's very wrong with this one??

Will take a reading later..

Different wines will ferment at different rates. If you do not have a Hydrometer (and I HIGHLY recommend that you purchase a couple of them), just taste it. Does is taste sweet???? If not then fermentation is most likely complete.

I followed this recipe

3lb black currants
3lb sugar
1 tsp citric acid
Wine yeast
Yeast nutrient

Crush the blackcurrants and place in a fermentation bucket. Boil the sugar and pour all the liquid over the blackcurrants. When cool add the citric acid, yeast nutrient and wine yeast. Cover and leave to ferment for five days, stirring daily. Using a fine sieve strain the liquid into a demijohn and fit an airlock to seal the jar.

As I said, after 3 or 4 days of transferring to demijohn it stopped bubbling...

My other wines have bubbled for weeks., so I'm thinking something's very wrong with this one??

Will take a reading later..

Rich, I have had wines get to a 0.990 SG reading in 5 days, which is basically a finished fermentation. A lot depends on temperature of the juice and the room it is in. Others with more experience will assist you more. Good luck!

At .995, I would let it set for another couple of days and see if the specific gravity goes down. If not, then I would add potassium and kmeta.
Is there much headroom (airspace) above the wine in the demijohn. After looking at the recipe, I assume you have it in a gallon jug, not a demijohn.

It's in a demijohn...., with just a little headroom...

Will look to get some potassium and kmeta...

Still .995. Took a ph reading., totally different colour to anything on the ph chart??

Thanks for the reply :) I'll rack it into another demi...

Starting either rhubarb or sour cherry today.. I have a carton of red grape concentrate, is that any good to put in the rhubarb one?

Back