Vacation Getaway ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vacuumpumpman

Vendor
Sponsor
Reaction score
We live near Chicago and soon we will have both our sons going to Philmont for 2 weeks.
We really want to get away but do not want to break the bank -
any suggestions ?

Yes I know it is a broad question - Just hoping someone had some great experiences

Helen, GA. Lots of fun, its a Euorpean styled village in the mountains north of Atlanta. There are 5 wineries quite close. One of them had the best Sangiovese Ive had outside of Napa Valley.

We would like to visit some wineries - but we also want to be able to more things also.

I will check what other activities is happening then Craig

I do believe that we are considering Missouri at this moment -

If anyone is along the way we would like to sit and chat if we all have the time to do so !

As of right now we should be in Missouri by next Saturday - need to get it approved by the boss

I do believe that we are considering Missouri at this moment -

If anyone is along the way we would like to sit and chat if we all have the time to do so !

As of right now we should be in Missouri by next Saturday - need to get it approved by the boss

A LOT of wineries in Missouri. We hit 13 of them a couple years ago over a two day period. Started in the KC area and worked east for the majority of them.
Check out this link for a starting point.
http://kcwineries.com/winetrail.html

KC is a lot of fun with quite a bit to do, depending on your likes. Royals and Chiefs, NASCAR, Cabela's, downtown Crown Center area, The Woodlands dog racing, numerous BBQ.

Lots of things to do at Lake of the Ozarks. Branson is also a short drive away from there as well.

You could also come through St. Louis which has a ton to do.

mike
we are also looking into the Brandon area as well

I don't like these short notice vacations but our life has been very busy lately and we are just looking for a getaway

Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH. No wine there, but lots of roller coasters.

If you are going to MO, don't forget to stop by Lamberts, home of the thrown rolls.
http://www.throwedrolls.com/

Branson, MO is the tourist place in MO.

Last edited:
Rich
we have already done the whole Sandusky thing a couple of years ago with the kids.

who knows it might be different without kids this time

Thanks for all the ideas !

How many days are you planning to be gone? Do you like outdoor/natural attractions? Museums?

Gettysburg, PA is an interesting place if you're into that. Hershey is nearby wtih the chocolate factory and an amusement park. It's also close to Lancaster/Pennsylvania Dutch country, which puts you pretty close to Philly.

Yes we both like outdoor - natural attractions.

we will be gone for 7 -10 days,
hopefully !!

I think next year we will take 3 weeks and go to the East coast

Yes we both like outdoor - natural attractions.

we will be gone for 7 -10 days,
hopefully !!

I think next year we will take 3 weeks and go to the East coast
Maybe South Dakota, then? Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial, Black Hills, Wall Drug <Free Water!> (just kidding, don't go there).

It's a fair ways between attractions, but I remember the drive being quite pleasant. A good chance to relax and talk. All of those places are very low key if you are looking to unwind. It's probably a very nice time of year for that area, too.

Mount Rushmore was quite the sight to see. Highly recommend going there at some point.

I think we are going to win it go to Missouri !!

just got approved by the boss and the wife wants to go down there also

One of my most memorable vacations was to Quebec City, Quebec Canada. I cannot wait to go back!

ok. for you easterners (or adventurous westerners/southerns/extreme northerners), let's say you want to take your wife on a long weekend to the Finger Lakes in NY. What are some ABSOLUTE don't miss things to do or places to go up there???

Looking forward to going to all the wineries in MO !!

I hope to be able to take some pics along the way -

I would like to say thanks for all those who helped us make a decision where to go on a last minute vacation !!

Will let you know who we meet along the way and I hope to still have access to the web daily !!

Back