It'll be here before you know it

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Harvest is coming! Harvest is coming!!

It is another hot, very dry year in CA and that means harvest should come early again this year. After missing the Chilean harvest this spring, I'm itching to get started, so I've been busy planning already. Volume continues to climb this year and I'm hoping to make enough to do some actual blending. My blending has been limited to a 50/50 Cab/Merlot field blend from last year's Chilean harvest.

I'm looking to do 8 lugs this year - up from the 4 I did last year. Yield was really good last year - I have 11 gallons of OVZ from 4 lugs. The first of that is in the 23 liter Vadai now. For this year, I think I'm going to get 3 lugs of Cabernet, 3 lugs of Merlot and 2 lugs of either Petit Syrah or Petit Verdot. That'll ultimately become a mostly Cab blend, with some leftover for single varietal bottling. I may have to ask Santa for a 30L barrel this year.

What's everyone else doing?

9 Lugs Cab Sauv (Lodi, CA)
6 Lugs Old Vine Zin (Lodi, CA)
3 Lugs Petit Sirah (Lodi, CA)
3 Lugs Syrah (Lodi, CA)
3 Lugs Grenache (Lodi, CA)

Very excited about the Grenache. Have never worked with the grape before and already coming up with some blends to make with it and the others.

Oh and should get at least 6 gallons of Estate wine from my own cold hardy grapes!

This will be our first time using grapes, last year 3 6 gallon buckets of juice.
Would like to make a Cabernet, but maybe blend into it something not sure yet, maybe Petit Verdot or Cab Franc?
Would also consider doing a Super Tuscan.

4 lugs of Cabernet
1 lug of Cab Franc
1 lug of Merlot
1 lug of Petit Verdot

Steve

I am thinking about making one or two batches from Maryland grapes:
https://www.harfordwinery.com/maryland-grapes/

Then:
-California zinfandel from juice + lug of grapes
-California Chardonnay (mlf)
-Italian Nebbiolo from juice + lug of grapes

In the meantime, I need to get moving to bottle my pinotage. I have two kits on deck to start this weekend. The Carmenere and Amarone need more time in carboys, but I want to test them to see if they need any adjustments.

Heather

3 lugs Cabernet Sauvignon
3 lugs Cabernet Franc
6 lugs Petit Verdot
trying to decide whether to get three more lugs of some other varietal(s) to get the 5% bulk discount for ordering at least 500 pounds of grapes from Fine Vine Wines... Any suggestions? None of those listed above will be blended, so maybe a 3-varietal blend?

9 Lugs Cab Sauv (Lodi, CA)
6 Lugs Old Vine Zin (Lodi, CA)
3 Lugs Petit Sirah (Lodi, CA)
3 Lugs Syrah (Lodi, CA)
3 Lugs Grenache (Lodi, CA)
How do you handle the weight of that many lugs? Aren't they difficult to get in and out of your vehicle?
I'm asking because I am concerned about transporting my 12-15 lugs. Darn near broke my back last time I had that many buckets.

3 lugs Cabernet Sauvignon
3 lugs Cabernet Franc
6 lugs Petit Verdot
trying to decide whether to get three more lugs of some other varietal(s) to get the 5% bulk discount for ordering at least 500 pounds of grapes from Fine Vine Wines... Any suggestions? None of those listed above will be blended, so maybe a 3-varietal blend?

How about adding a Merlot? You would then have all the "usual suspects" for a Bordeaux-style (or Meritage, if you prefer) blend.

I have 8 of the 20G Brutes so I fill each Brute up with 3 lugs and put the lid on for transport back home for crushing/desteming. They are heavy for sure but I can swing them up when full from the ground and get the bottom in the back of the truck without too much difficulty. They come out of the truck much easier! After that I use a small dolly and roll them around as needed.

How do you handle the weight of that many lugs? Aren't they difficult to get in and out of your vehicle?
I'm asking because I am concerned about transporting my 12-15 lugs. Darn near broke my back last time I had that many buckets.

Best yield I have ever gotten was on 6 lugs of Sangiovese back in 2013 from Lodi. Stuff was gorgeous and super high brix so after adding acidulated water to bring back down to planet earth I ended up with 18G of finished wine.

I am hoping to do another bordeaux-style blend, plus some Syrah and a Cab Franc. Haven't decided quantities yet. I made 24 gallons of juice pails last year with a lug added to each 12 gallons. Kind of underwhelming, so I will probably drop the pails this year and buy more lugs.

We're getting 2000 pounds of Amador Barbera, 2000 pounds of Sierra Foothills Zin and 1800 pounds of Sierra Foothills Mourvedre. Getting the order for yeast and others goodies together this week! Very exciting!

Harford Vineyard has their site live for juice and grape preorders.

I haven't gotten my email and can't tell if what's there is leftover from last year or not. I wish their site was more specific - maybe saying "2015 harvest" or something. :(

Anyone have experience with grapes from Lanza Vineyards? I'm thinking of giving them a go, instead of my normal Amador Gold.

Seems like the grapes aren't live to order yet, only the juice. I have asked Teresa and will post the result of what I hear back.

All of the Lodi/Central Valley are active now except the last Zinfandel. Seems as if they are in the middle of the update!

Is there any way to ensure that the grapes and buckets show up around the same time, or is that impossible to predict?

Edit: All of Lodi/Central Valley now active.

Last edited:
I'm goin' crazy over here. Can't wait any longer!

giphy.gif

Back