WineXpert island mist kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quiltertoo

Reaction score
This is my first kit. I am about 3 days away from step 3. Stabilising and Clearing. I have just purchased the all in one pump and will be using it for the first time. the kit instructions say not to rack before before stabilising and fining. Stir all the sediment back into the wine.the wine needs extremely vigorous stirring at this stage to get rid of trapped gas. I was hoping to degas with the all in one pump but I not sure exactly how to do this and follow the kit directions. Can anyone give me some advice? Thank You.

Mary Lou

I believe at this point to racked off the primary and into a carboy with some headspace at around 1.010.

What I do with my pump is first use a long spoon handle and stir the lees back into the wine and add all my stabilizers. I have a pump with my wineeasy that I then hook up and allow to run for 30-40min to degass.

With the AIO, I think you would be able to use his Headspace eliminator device to pull suction and create a vaccum to degas that way for a certain period of time.

Or, if you did not want to purchase anything additional you could sanitize a few extra carboys and just splash rack into one, then rerack into another, and then back again? The transfer will be under vaccum and will help to degass the wine. You can couple this with stirring the lees ALOT for a few minutes and combine with the pump transfers it should degass pretty well.

I would still let it sit for an extended period in topped up carboys with a couple extra transfers for the next few months to make sure it was degassed, my preference.

Here is how I use mine.

Any racking will now help to degas, simply because you are working under very low air pressure, that allows the CO2 to be pulled out of the wine. When the wine comes out of the hose, let it splash into the side of the receiving carboy (splash racking). This does 2 things, one is that the mechanical action of hitting the carboy wall causes more CO2 to come out and the other is something called sheeting effect, that is when a liquid thins out and runs down the carboy wall. This gives more surface area for the vacuum to work on and also contributes to degassing. Generally, 2 total rackings will remove enough of the CO2 that you won't need to worry about it any more.

Later, if you use the bottling attachment, you might see a bit of foam in the final bottle, that is OK, just a bit more CO2 coming out. I let the filled bottles sit about 15 minutes before topping off with a measuring cup and corking. No worries about oxygen if you K meta right before bottling.

Best Tool Ever!

I'm assuming you haven't done any degassing yet. If that is the case, one racking with the AllInOne won't get all the gas out. Like DoctorCAD said, 2 rackings ought to do it - especially if you have the splash racking attachment and can do as he mentioned.

As far as following your kit directions, you can simiply rack and bring the sediment over when you do so. That'll accomplish your degassing and stirring.

Thanks DoctorCad and Boatyboy. You have answered the exact question I had. I do have the splash racking attachment and wondered if this would mix everything up good enough. I will rack a couple times.

Mary Lou

I use nothing but the splash rack attachment with the all in one. Most all gas is gone after a few rackings but I've had a few batches need a few more times.

I just now saw this thread - Yes I agree with everyone that posted
above me ^^

Over the past several months I have found out that if you push in a
Barb Nylon (plastic )Coupling, 3/16 x 3/16 In, ( can be found at most all hardware stores ) in the end of the splash racking tube, that it makes it degass even more - Reasons being

Creates more vacuum - due to smaller diameter in the receiving carboy

it splashes against the carboy more intense - helping in the aid of CO2

Just make sure to remove it and santize it as well- after and before each use

Please let me know your results by giving me a PM -

Thanks !! Happy Degassing !!

I'm a little confused about the process that is being proposed. Are people saying to stir up the lees and rack once with the all in one then add the Sorbate, Kmeta, clarifier, etc and after it clears rack again to finish degassing. Or are you saying to rack twice up front before adding the clarifier, etc.? Option 2 sounds like a lot of racking and carboy cleaning. Why wouldn't you just pull a vacuum on the carboy the wine is already in to degas and then add everything stir and let it clear all in the same carboy. Sorry if that is a dumb question. I don't have an all in one so I don't know the process.

I had to go back and read the new instructions for Island Mist kits. There is no racking at step 3 (when wine is done fermenting) in the instructions anymore. That being said, what's important at this step is to stir the sediment up and to degas. The last one of these kits I did, I put the sulfite and sorbate in the receiving carboy before racking. I stirred the wine with the racking tube (to stir in the sediment) as I racked with my vacuum pump. Then I pulled a vacuum until it was degassed completely. I then removed enough wine to add the F-pac, added the fining agent and walla clear wine in a few days.

@Dhaynes
The Allinonewinepump was designed so you do not have to do a separate degassing procedure. It pulls between 21-22 in hg of vacuum with a strong LPM - this is a safe level for a vacuum to protect the carboy. I found that it just takes a couple of transfers as you are doing your normal rackings and most all your CO2 will be removed at that time.

Hey Steve. Thanks for the tip about reducing the nozzle end of the splash racking tube. Definitely going to incorporate that idea... pump has been working great!!! Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back