Muscadine Wine Sampling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

congay68

Junior
Reaction score
I bottled my muscadine wine in March. Last night (June 30, 2015) I sampled a small bottle and compared it to a commercial Muscadine Wine. My wine tasted less sweet by design. I wanted a semi-sweet to semi-dry. However, my wine tasted like fermentation smells (does that make sense?)...and it didn't have a nice, fruity smell...the smell was a hint of fermenting yeast...just a hint. Will the fruity taste and smell improve with aging? If not, how can I improve?

I only made one gallon using Black Jumbo and Southland. The commercial winery uses Nobel, I think. I hope to make at least 2 gallons this year. I'm very much a novice and still learning.

Muscadine wine in progress is VERY susceptible to oxidation, and care must be taken to prevent this during the process.

Sounds like you should have aged in the carboy for a few more months and racked a couple more times to let the yeast finish it's work, die, settle out, and be removed by racking.

Muscat is prone to stuck ferments and oxidation. You might have a little referment going in bottle if it wasn't dry prior to bottling. Then again a little funk never hurt anyone. It may blow off after a few swirls in glass.

Latest posts

Back