WineXpert LE Super Tuscan vs Eclipse Barolo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why choose? I made both. Both are bulk ageing in the carboy.

If I had to choose I would go with the Eclipse Nebbiolo.. I made 3 of those kits in the past and it's quite good... it's one of my fave kits..

To be fair I didn't try the Super Tuscan yet due to its young age.

Well, the Super Tuscan is a bit cheaper than the Barolo, right?

To my way of thinking, the fact that the Super Tuscan is a LE kit presents arguments both for and against it. For: You should grab the Super Tuscan while it is available; you can get the Nebbiolo any time! Against: If it turns out great, you will not be able to capitalize on that knowledge by making it in the future.

I just made the Super Tuscan, so I, for some reason, want to encourage you to make it as well. However, I have not made the Barolo/Nebbiolo, so I have no rational basis to do so! :D

The Super Tuscan is a limited edition , you should get it while you can . The Barolo will wait for you in the store . You could pick it up as soon as you have the funds .:b

The Super Tuscan is a limited edition , you should get it while you can . The Barolo will wait for you in the store . You could pick it up as soon as you have the funds .:b

Makes perfect sense to me!

Super tuscan

this is now in the process of clearing and my thoughts are make it with enough oak to make it a true super Tuscan ,also the Barolo is very similar to a Sangiovese ,have you seen my threads on this at "when good wines gone bad"

1.jpg

this is now in the process of clearing and my thoughts are make it with enough oak to make it a true super Tuscan ,also the Barolo is very similar to a Sangiovese ,have you seen my threads on this at "when good wines gone bad"

Joe - tannins and raisins... Anything else? Will go back to your thread shortly.

The winners are (and purchased for an extraordinarily sweet deal from a site sponsor, btw):

Enigma and the LE Super Tuscan. Ordered this evening from LP. Should be here in just a couple days. I'll probably start one end of July and the other directly after.

Darn, I didn't see that Super Tuscan or I would have ordered it. Instead I have ordered and received an Eclipse Sonoma Dry Creek Chardonnay and the Selection Sangiovese. Saved nearly $40 with shipping included.

Maybe when finished I can tempt you with a Sangiovese and a VR Diablo Rojo (with Chilean grape skins added, just bottled, pretty oaky at this point) for one of those Super Tuscans. If you drive a hard bargain (like most lawyers do) maybe I can swap out in a Chilean Merlot/Cab Sauv/Malbec in place of the Diablo Rojo (tasting excellent already for two months).

Actually, the more I think about it, there is no need for exchanges. It is worth me giving you and your wife a few bottles to get and honest opinion of what you think about them. You both seem to enjoy wine on a regular basis and that has been my measuring stick for sharing my wine to other "tasters" in the past.

What we need to do is make a big "to do" list and use our resources to knock the different kits out one at a time, sharing a few bottles with each other as they get properly aged so we can figure out what we each enjoy and don't enjoy as much.

For example, the Diablo Rojo I just did had a very small f-pack (could fit in the palm of your hand) that added enough sweetness that even at this early age is showing through the oak. Sounds like that after it ages 6 months to a year might be a wine that matches your wife's "I like" semi-dry profile.

If you ever get a chance, get the Eclipse Nebbiolo (Barolo). I just did my 3rd and it is one of the best that I have done. I have not found any LE kit to be as good. I bought a LE Nebbiolo a few years ago to compare to a Mosti Mondial Magliolo and WE Eclipse Barolo that I fermented at the same time. Both the Maglioli and Eclipse blew the LE kit away. I have done 3 LE kits, all with grape skins, and they all turned out to be very light table wines IMO. I hope yours turns out better.

They're scheduled for delivery some time today... Amazing.

Craig, it will be a few months at least until I have something ready to open.

Jim, I'm on your same schedule. Christmas at the earliest for the whites. Should probably wait till this time next year to actually start sampling the reds. That's why I made the VR Diablo Rojo, so I'd have something red this fall to sample. I think the VR kits get better quicker but don't improve much after a year. The 3/4 of a bottle left over from that kit was actually much better than I thought last night, very drinkable. I still have the dry oak aftertaste in my mouth this morning.

I think you are much better off making the higher end kits like you have been and waiting until they get good. Like you I hate paying the State run monopoly for wine until they age.

If you ever get a chance, get the Eclipse Nebbiolo (Barolo). I just did my 3rd and it is one of the best that I have done. I have not found any LE kit to be as good. I bought a LE Nebbiolo a few years ago to compare to a Mosti Mondial Magliolo and WE Eclipse Barolo that I fermented at the same time. Both the Maglioli and Eclipse blew the LE kit away. I have done 3 LE kits, all with grape skins, and they all turned out to be very light table wines IMO. I hope yours turns out better.

Chris - the LE Super Tuscan is anything but light so far. It's in the Carboy now. It's dark and dense like the Eclipse Merlot that I have aging next to it.

Back