Ideas for my wineyard?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knifemaker

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've got a dilemma, this last year the home next was destroyed by fire, the owner collected on insurance and had the house removed and the lot leveled. So He contacted me and asked if I'd be interested in buying the lot. What could I say? Heck Yeah! So I've got an empty lot 60' x 90' with a clean slate. I'm in Northeast Nebraska borderline zones 4-5. I've got some ideas for things that I'd like to plant, dwarf apple, peach, pie cherry, maybe some currents, gooseberries, a row of grapes, any good wine ideas would surely be appreciated! Dale.

check with the University of Minnesota they have a program for hybrid grapes in the North country. One of their grapes is Marquette and another is Frontenac.

Hi everyone! I've got a dilemma, this last year the home next was destroyed by fire, the owner collected on insurance and had the house removed and the lot leveled. So He contacted me and asked if I'd be interested in buying the lot. What could I say? Heck Yeah! So I've got an empty lot 60' x 90' with a clean slate. I'm in Northeast Nebraska borderline zones 4-5. I've got some ideas for things that I'd like to plant, dwarf apple, peach, pie cherry, maybe some currents, gooseberries, a row of grapes, any good wine ideas would surely be appreciated! Dale.

Contact Silver Hills Winery and Big Cottonwood, both around Tekamah.

As mentioned, Frontenac, LaCrosse, St. Croix, Marquette, Brianna, etc. are all Nebraska grown grapes.

I have absolutely no knowledge whatsoever about growing grapes, I make mostly fruit wines. My Oldest absolutely loves dry reds, so the Marquette looks interesting to me. Maybe two 90 ft. rows of grapes one red, and one white, and then some other fruit that doesn't take much space. Decisions, decisions. Dale.

Remind me in Feb. or Mar. and I will send you some currant cuttings. We can get ahold of Jstar and see how his worked out. Sent him a abunch of them this early spring. Last I heard, they were growing. I'll pm him and see how they are doing. He can tell you how he treated them. They don't take up very much room. Only grow 4 ft or so high and maybe 3 ft. wide. A 20 or 30 ft row will probably get you all the currants you want to pick. These are red ones. Arne.

Remind me in Feb. or Mar. and I will send you some currant cuttings. We can get ahold of Jstar and see how his worked out. Sent him a abunch of them this early spring. Last I heard, they were growing. I'll pm him and see how they are doing. He can tell you how he treated them. They don't take up very much room. Only grow 4 ft or so high and maybe 3 ft. wide. A 20 or 30 ft row will probably get you all the currants you want to pick. These are red ones. Arne.

Thanks Arne, I just may do that, I was kind of interested in black currants as well, plus there's a black currant / gooseberry cross that looks good also. Know anyone that has experience with blueberries here in Nebraska? Plus I have to try some blackberries. Endless possibilities. Dale.

If you are looking for a heavier red wine then i would bypass Marquette and go with Petite Pearl. Marquette makes a nice wine, most definitely, but it is lighter in body. PP is heavier.
At least that is how it is in my area! but both are good!

Latest posts

Back