Fig Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ants_Elixirs

Reaction score
I've got about 6 gallons of figs. Does anyone have a "secret" recipe they care to share?

Thnaks

My father in law lives in virgina beach and has a monster fig tree. Make fig wine evey year. Soft and floral.

I finally got around to starting this batch. I froze the figs and left them in the freezer for a few days. Afterwards, I crushed them real well with my hands. I can only imagine if that was similar to walking on grapes to crush them.

Ingredients:
13 pounds of fig mush
7 pounds of local honey
3 small cans of frozen orange juice concentrate
12 oz of chopped raisins
3 Tablespoons of Diammonium phosphate
5 crushed Campden tablets
3 tablespoons of Tartaric Acid
2 1/2 teaspoons Pectic enzyme
6 cups of Sugar
Water
1 packet of Montrachet Yeast

Yesterday I added the fig mush, honey, oj concentrate, raisins, diammonium K, campden, tartaric acid, pectic enzyme to the primary. Then I filled the primary to the 5 gallon mark with water.

This afternoon I strained some of the must and measured the sp. It was 1.068. I dissolved 6 cups of sugar in a gallon and a half of boiling water and added to the primary. The sp was 1.080. I ended up with about 6 1/4 gallons of must.

Right now I'm culturing the yeast and plan to pitch it in the morning.

I would have rather not used the oj and the sugar, but all I had was 2 1/2 quarts of honey.

Stay tuned.

I pitched the yeast about 1:30 AM (don't ask what I was doing up so late). That was about 8 1/2 hours ago.

Just took the cover off to stir it. There was a nice 2" thick foamy cap. The yeast seem very happy.

Please let us know how this comes out. Our oldest son has a huge fig tree in his backyard. I have been trying to get figs off of it for the last two years but so far the deer have beat me them.

Tested the sp this AM. It's already at 1.002. Looks like I'll be transferring to secondary today.

That's great as I have a batch of my Summer Sea Breeze that needs to be back sweetened and bottled. I can knock out both today. Come to think about it, I've got about 15 pounds of mixed berries in the freezer.

Hmmmm.....It's gonna be a busy day.

The fig wine from this link is the one I just started today. I'll be watching your progress!

I actually looked at that recipe when I was trying to decide what I wanted to use. In the end, I had less figs than I originally thought. I was told I had 6 gallons of figs headed to me. As it turned out it was only a little more than half of that.

I miscalculated the amount of water to use and my sp was only about 1.065. The orange juice concentrate was added to up the alcohol % since it ferments out to an almost neutral taste. The sugar was added for the same reason.

I tasted it when I transferred it to the secondary. It has a great flavor initially, but then on the back side it gets acidic. I really need to bite the bullet and get a good ph tester.

Live and learn......

I actually looked at that recipe when I was trying to decide what I wanted to use. In the end, I had less figs than I originally thought. I was told I had 6 gallons of figs headed to me. As it turned out it was only a little more than half of that.

I miscalculated the amount of water to use and my sp was only about 1.065. The orange juice concentrate was added to up the alcohol % since it ferments out to an almost neutral taste. The sugar was added for the same reason.

I tasted it when I transferred it to the secondary. It has a great flavor initially, but then on the back side it gets acidic. I really need to bite the bullet and get a good ph tester.

Live and learn......

Ha, yeah. It turns out that I ripened my figs for too long and ended up with *just* enough for this recipe. I didn't know that about OJ concentrate---can it be used whenever the first hydrometer measurement is short of what it's supposed to be? Is it a better choice than using more sugar?

I'll see what mine tastes like on Monday. A pH tester was recommended to me, but I have no idea why (except to read the pH, but newbie me wouldn't even know what to do once I got a reading anyway).

Back