O'Boy, Apricot Wine :)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
60lbs of Apricots. Wow!

Found another good use for the Stand Mixer. Apricot Puree. I'm thinking this will speed up, maybe cut in half the amount of time the fruit needs to spend in the fermentation bucket. I hope so, as I was only able to use 30lbs of the super ripe ones. By Monday, the 2nd half will need to be use.

Apricots 001 (1024x768).jpg

Apricots 002 (1024x768).jpg

Have you pureed all of it yet?

I think you are going to find that it creates quite a mess with pureeing. I did that with one batch early on and I ended up losing a lot of the liquid.
You may want to set that aside for jam or jelly.

If you have a steam juicer you could cut the apricots in half and process them that way.

I made some apricot lavender vanilla jam about a month ago.
I saved the pits (with apricot guts still on them) and poured vodka over them. Let that sit for about a month.

Pure almond goodness with just a touch of apricot.

Yes, yes, I know...cyanide.
Hasn't killed me yet.....

Must is cooled and I added the yeast nutrient and pectin enzyme. The liquid looks good. The purée has put a strong (good) flavor into the water fast. Good early indication. Last year the neighbors gave me a huge amount of peaches. Can't wait.

All this surprise fruit and I'm now wondering how to get more bottles. The best kind, the free ones. :)

2 Days now in the primary and the yeast is very active. I used way more Apricots then needed (cause I had them) and the flavor is like concentrate before adding water. I'm thinking of diluting the liquid. Take the 6 gallons and add water to make 9 gallons.

The pureed fruit, I'm guessing, is responsible in this high flavor and the liquid being more syrup(ee) like then flavored water.

Moved the 1st 30lbs from the primary to the 6gal carboy. Activity like I've never seen before. 2nd 30 now in the primary. I just pitted the fruit, as it got very ripe fast. Almost purée without the mixer beating it.

I decided to dilute the must later if necessary. Lots of pulp in the must, so I'm going to lose some liquid during racking. Rather then topping off the carboy with a juice concentrate, it will be just water.

And another 30lbs of Apricots just delivered. Wow!

And I just added the yeast to the primary this morning. Well this cannot wait as this batch is very ripe. The apricot soup now in the primary gets into a Carboy 1st thing tomorrow morning.

I'm still a beginner, as this is my 2nd season, and I'm starting to get a little overwhelmed by all the wine stacking up, and with the few bottles I have.

In summary, I definitely
(1) have more wine then I do bottles, or
(2) my goals of future wine drinking has blown past my history of drinking wine.

:db

And I just added the yeast to the primary this morning. Well this cannot wait as this batch is very ripe. The apricot soup now in the primary gets into a Carboy 1st thing tomorrow morning.

I'm still a beginner, as this is my 2nd season, and I'm starting to get a little overwhelmed by all the wine stacking up, and with the few bottles I have.

In summary, I definitely
(2) my goals of future wine drinking has blown past my history of drinking wine.

Having too much wine is a nice problem to have, and could be a great way to thank the folks who give you fruit. :)

Remember you can always freeze your fruit as it will naturally break down the fibers as it starts to thaw, this gives you the time to say when you want to ferment.

Having too much wine is a nice problem to have, and could be a great way to thank the folks who give you fruit. :)

Yup. Greases the skids too. They were excited to get a bottle of Elderberry Wine and I'm sure they are looking forward to a couple of bottles of Apricot Wine now.

60lbs of Apricots. Wow!

Found another good use for the Stand Mixer. Apricot Puree. I'm thinking this will speed up, maybe cut in half the amount of time the fruit needs to spend in the fermentation bucket. I hope so, as I was only able to use 30lbs of the super ripe ones. By Monday, the 2nd half will need to be use.

View attachment 23267

View attachment 23268
Hi!
I am taking my first batch of apricot wine. Can you suggest any specific care for making nice apricot wine?

this is an old thread and the author hasn’t been on since 2020,
I am taking my first batch of apricot wine. Can you suggest any specific care for making nice apricot wine?
I would use a peach recipe with apricot. My personal style is that I go above four to five pounds of fruit per gallon and try to always run 100% juice.
Practically speaking how many kilos of fruit are you dealing with and what size containers do you have available.

this is an old thread and the author hasn’t been on since 2020,

I would use a peach recipe with apricot. My personal style is that I go above four to five pounds of fruit per gallon and try to always run 100% juice.
Practically speaking how many kilos of fruit are you dealing with and what size containers do you have available.
I will be taking 1 gallon batch. It's glass carboy I am using, yeast, is Lalvin EC1118 and pectin enzyme.

I once had a few apricot trees. thing about them is they all get ripe within a few days, so wine is a natural.
I used to pit chop and boil, about 4 to 5 pounds per gallon, add sugar, other stuff, and ferment.
never thought of puree
Waiting for the results of that

I tried purring some mango and it was just too sloppy and hard to clear. Way too much sediment that had to be filtered to save liquid.

Flamingo
I use grain bags from home brew store for fruits and stuff, kinda like pre strained
my wife suggested panty hose but I told here that was the wrong yeast

In summary, I definitely

So how is it going? Did the purée work?

Latest posts

Back