What's wrong with his wine?!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goose

Junior
Reaction score
Well, had a friend bring a bottle of homemade wine to me to see if I could figure out what was wrong with it and I have no idea! I am a beginner too and I don't know how he got this flavors. It was a pineapple wine. It tasted fruity, very sweet, very alcoholic, and BITTER?! Not sure how it could be that sweet and bitter but it was definitely off! Possibly still young and needs to age? Still has yeast in it? Any ideas? I don't know the specifics, and I know most of you would want that info before giving advice, just thought it was strange! He said it stopped bubbling after a month, then it cleared and did nothing the next. He decided to bottle and let it age in the bottle? What could he do now or what should he have done?

You are right, we do need the recipe. Sounds like it could be to acidic or too much tannins but I would need to know what is in it and what he has done so far. Also, I am really hoping there are some hydrometer readings.

I called him and ask about his specs and he has nothing! I guess it was suppose to be a simple recipe that he found on some blog. Somewhere on the Internet a woman from India has a pineapple wine recipe posted that asks for pineapple peel, sugar, water, egg whites, and yeast. He said he mixed everything according to her instructions and added it to a sterile crock and sealed it with a clean flour sack clothe as instructed. It was allowed to ferment until fermentation slowed and then he strained it. He said she didn't say to treat with K-meta, but he did. Then he allowed it to complete fermentation and waited for it to clear. He did say he had trouble getting it to clear and treated with gelatine for some reason. It cleared a little but still had a haze, so he got some super kleer k.c. and that did the trick. 3 days later he bottled, and brought to me a week later. Eeww.

Well it is young. Take a hydrometer reading to see where it is at now, then take some wine and add some sugar, if that helped, take a reading to see, you now have a direction to go on. You might need a couple bottles for this experiment. And remember the wine is very young so it just might need to age.

And tell him to join here and stay away from those India ladies on uTube, they have no idea how to make wine!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back