Stocking a supply store

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarvestWine

Junior
Reaction score
Starting a new business and would like to know the "must-have" supplies I should carry. I'm an amateur winemaker myself and know of some of the basic supplies, but I want to make sure I have everything. Any favorites? Any cool new equipment or items you've seen?

First off Congratulations on the new venture. My thoughts are, and I don't mean to sound rude but if you have to ask what to carry possibly you're getting into the wrong business.

Yes, a UVin. @Runningwolf, please read my whole post. I'm not asking if this is the correct business for me to start, I'm asking for some thoughts on new and favorite items that I may not have thought of.

Starting a new business and would like to know the "must-have" supplies I should carry. I'm an amateur winemaker myself and know of some of the basic supplies, but I want to make sure I have everything. Any favorites? Any cool new equipment or items you've seen?

I am assuming this new business is a wine store(you didn't mention). If it is beer, I am the wrong guy to comment.
If wine, for starters, think of the things you use/need as an amateur winemaker.

Corks, bottles, all the chemicals, yeasts, winemaking kits(juice), winemaking kits(supplies), different types of corkers, concentrates, books, hydrometers, pH meters, TA kits.

1) As already asked, where will this new business be located?

2) You call it a "U-Vin" but that is a VERY vague term. Is this going to be a "Ferment on Premises" (ie customer "makes" wine in your store with your equipment), or just a reatail store (ie customer buys equipment & supplies and makes wine at home).

3) Do you have a supplier lined up yet? If so, review their catalogue. Consider multiple suppliers.

4) Beer? U-Vin means wine.

Steve

Variety of yeast, yeast nutrient, MLF, MLF nutrient, wood cubes, staves, carboys, air locks, stoppers, spoons, beakers, scales,hydrometer, pH meter, brushes, SO2, cleaners, sanitizer, wine kits, corks, bottles, clarifies, toppers, labels.

OT: Rent a destemmer, press, corker. Sponsor a wine contests and the local wine club. Get out there.

Back