Other What is closest to Kendall Jackson Summation in taste?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgmann67

Rennaisance Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I enjoy this as an everyday red. It's a blend of Zin, Syrah, Merlot and a few others.

If you've had it, can you point me at something that might be in that wheelhouse as a kit?

A little spice but with softer tannins.

I wonder if the WineXpert Enigma would be close. I know that this is supposed to mimic the Apothic, which is an off-dry wine. I don't know if there is an f-pack on the Enigma, but if there is, you could certainly ferment it dry to get closer to the Summation.

I wonder if the WineXpert Enigma would be close. I know that this is supposed to mimic the Apothic, which is an off-dry wine. I don't know if there is an f-pack on the Enigma, but if there is, you could certainly ferment it dry to get closer to the Summation.

That's the one I was thinking of. I was just hoping it was in the ballpark on taste.

I'm going to do two kit wines this fall and maybe a juice bucket. The enigma (or the LE Triumph) will probably be one. The other, an amarone or Barolo.

The juice - probably a California Pinot.

Last edited:
My wife and I enjoy this as an everyday red. It's a blend of Zin, Syrah, Merlot and a few others.

If you've had it, can you point me at something that might be in that wheelhouse as a kit?

A little spice but with softer tannins.

Wow, this post caught my eye. Have drank Summation for a few years now. It is a good everyday red blend.

Not sure if you know, but each year is a different blend. 2009 and 2012 are one of our favorites. We noticed 2010 didn't taste the same so I looked up some information on the interweb and found out about the different blends depending on the year.

I have only made two kits(RJS OVZ and Super Tuscan) so I am not much help with your question.

Wow, this post caught my eye. Have drank Summation for a few years now. It is a good everyday red blend.

Not sure if you know, but each year is a different blend. 2009 and 2012 are one of our favorites. We noticed 2010 didn't taste the same so I looked up some information on the interweb and found out about the different blends depending on the year.

I have only made two kits(RJS OVZ and Super Tuscan) so I am not much help with your question.

So "summation" really does me, "the aggregate" or "whatever we have left, blended to taste." =)

So "summation" really does me, "the aggregate" or "whatever we have left, blended to taste." =)

haha
Yes it does in this case.

Few of the years I found.
43% Zin, 24% Syrah, 21% Merlot, 5% Grenache, 4% Petite Sirah, 3% other varietals

36% Syrah, 34% Zin, 19% Merlot, 4% Cab Franc, 4% Petite Sirah, 3% other varietals

34% Zin, 31% Syrah, 23% Merlot, smaller amounts of Petite Sirah

I ordered the Enigma yesterday on special from LP. It should be delivered by Thursday.

I know from conversations with others that this kit does not contain an F-pack. If I were to do one, it would probably be two cups of raisins in the primary, yes?

Are you aiming to add sweetness or body with the F-pack? The Enigma is likely designed to be a dry red blend. Is the Summation dry?

I think that the question about sweetness and an f-pack arose from me:

Good to know that it does not have an f-pack.

And, actually, WinExpert lists this wine as "off dry":
http://www.winexpert.com/wine?brand[]=531&keywords=Enigma&v=list&p=details

Are you aiming to add sweetness or body with the F-pack? The Enigma is likely designed to be a dry red blend. Is the Summation dry?

Body, yes. The literature says Enigma is off-dry. I figure on adding the F-pack in the primary to give it body and bump the OG so I can get closer to 14% ABV when fermented to dry.

Body, yes. The literature says Enigma is off-dry. I figure on adding the F-pack in the primary to give it body and bump the OG so I can get closer to 14% ABV when fermented to dry.

Got it, that makes sense in the primary. You can also use dried elderberries in primary in lieu of raisins.

My Enigma is in the bottle. Bumped it in the primary with about 500ml +/- of concentrate and fermented to dry; then added 30g of med. toast oak cubes in the finish for 6 weeks, followed by Tannin Riche Extra a month before bottling. I'm really pleased with it and believe it hits the right notes to replace Summation as my everyday red drinker. In another year or so, I hope to never have to go into a state store for wine again.

My Enigma is in the bottle. Bumped it in the primary with about 500ml +/- of concentrate and fermented to dry; then added 30g of med. toast oak cubes in the finish for 6 weeks, followed by Tannin Riche Extra a month before bottling. I'm really pleased with it and believe it hits the right notes to replace Summation as my everyday red drinker. In another year or so, I hope to never have to go into a state store for wine again.

It is a WONDERFUL feeling to not have to buy wine. :)

Latest posts

Back