Help with bentonite!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhCrap

Reaction score
Hi I'm doing dangerdaves dragon blood tomorrow. I have bentonite for fining. I've never used it and before I start I'm wondering when to chuck it in or am I better using something else later on?
I've read different things but better to ask [emoji3]

My 2 cents: Not sure I would use bentonite on any really quality wine. I think it removes some color and some of the flavor but for SP or its derivatives I don't think that the clay should be a problem. That said, I think adding bentonite while there is still some yeast action is effective. The CO2 will tend to bring the clay up to the surface and the weight of the clay plus fruit particles will tend to drop the clay back down towards the bottom so the process itself helps to recycle the clay. In other words, you may want to add the bentonite right after you have racked the wine into a secondary. But others may have very different experiences and opinions.

Most kits have you to add the bentonite in the primary. I actually prefer Superkleer. A lot of kits use both. I just use Superkleer with my Dragon Blood after fermentation and degassing.

For long-term aging, I skip fining agents. However, DB is an early drinker, so you need to use something.

Bentonite is one of many options to help with clearing. It is used in conjunction with Isinglass or Chitosan (which are put in after fermentation is complete). If you have it, it can be used in the primary (fermentation CO2 helps keep it suspended to it can attract stuff), or afterwards. If used afterwards, stir it in a day before using Isinglass or Chitosan.

Otherwise, use a combo like Superklear.

Degass before adding Isinglass, Chitosan, or Superklear

I've never used bentonite or any other fining agent with my DB and it clears up just fine. It's usually crystal clear a month or two after fermentation is done with a couple of rackings.

For long-term aging, I skip fining agents. However, DB is an early drinker, so you need to use something.

Bentonite is one of many options to help with clearing. It is used in conjunction with Isinglass or Chitosan (which are put in after fermentation is complete). If you have it, it can be used in the primary (fermentation CO2 helps keep it suspended to it can attract stuff), or afterwards. If used afterwards, stir it in a day before using Isinglass or Chitosan.

Otherwise, use a combo like Superklear.

Degass before adding Isinglass, Chitosan, or Superklear

I agree!! I feel it also helps with degassing when used in the primary.

I think Turock (long time member) suggests it be put in
on the third day of primary. If memory serves.

Bill

This is what I have done on my last couple batches that I actually used it on. I read somewhere on here that the bentonite counter acts pectic enzyme so if you have fruit in your primary you might not get all you can get out of it. I'm pretty sure it was cintipam that posted that info.

Back