WineXpert Wine Expert Lodi Ranch very cloudy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luanne50

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone has some advice. I followed directions for the Lodi Ranch 11 including letting it finish for 28 days after step 4 for clarification.

After 28 days it was not clear, clear so I let it sit for another 7 days as noted in instructions. However I think it is even more cloudy!

Should I bottle anyway? Is there something else I can do to get it clear?

Thanks in advance.

So it could be a couple of things. One is gas, the other is just not clearing. If you let it sit for a month or two, it will eventually clear and degass on it's own. Can you give it more time?
Heather

Is there a layer of sediment building at the bottom? More time should be your answer either way.

What Heatherd and Ehammonds said, more time. Kit instructions do kits a disservice...

So it could be a couple of things. One is gas, the other is just not clearing. If you let it sit for a month or two, it will eventually clear and degass on it's own. Can you give it more time?
Heather

I'm with heatherd.

What's the temp in your carboy? What would be the harm in giving your wine a good stir (like, stir until your arm gets tired) and letting it sit a month? In my mind - no harm at all.

Thanks all. Did the degas as usual. No vacuum pump. So I guess I'll try to let time correct this. Thank you all for your input.

Thanks all. Did the degas as usual. No vacuum pump. So I guess I'll try to let time correct this. Thank you all for your input.

If you're going to make wine a regular hobby, get a vacuum pump. If not, maybe see if someone here is close by and willing to drop by and pull a vacuum on it. Pull down to at least 20" hg. If you see bubbles, it wasn't fully degassed. The vacuum will pull it all out within a short time, then it will clear much more quickly. Otherwise you'll just have to wait it out, which could take months if it wasn't fully degassed.

One of the issues with kit instructions - from all vendors - is that they underestimate the time to degass.

I stir the heck out of each batch. After that, I omit the superkleer/isinglas and just let the wine sit in a carboy for several months to clear and degass on it's own, as well as bulk age.

Heather

Back