Port style kits 2015

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thig

Reaction score
What are you all ordering this year for the dessert "port style" kits. The deadline is coming soon and I haven't seen anyone mention them, maybe I just overlooked it.

I ordered a double batch of the "chocolate salted caramel." If it tastes half as good as it sounds it will be a regular order for the holiday season.

port style kits

I ORDERED A BLACK CURRENT PORT I WILL BE STARTING MY BLACKBERRY PORT BY THE END OF THE WEEK,I HOPE.:hug

I ordered one of the salted caramel. I'm on the fence about buying a second one or getting another flavor. I have zero experience with the port kits.

I have made four batches of the port style wines (2 coffee, 1 black forest, 1 toasted caramel). They make great holiday gifts, and are ready to drink pretty much right away. They are three gallons, but you end up with 30-36 of the 375ml bottles.

Hmmm. Got to start thinking about that. I skipped them last year. The chocolate salted caramel sounds good, but it looks like WE is up to its price fixing tricks again. :re

I was thinking last year about doing the coffee and caramel, then blending some of it. Perhaps its time to do that.

Last edited:
I ordered the rjs toasted caramel port. Can't wait to get it in a carboy for a year!

I've been eying the toasted caramel. I haven't been terribly impressed with the WE port kits.

I have done the toasted caramel and coffee port the last 2 years and wanted to try something different this time. They are both very good if not a little too sweet. The toasted caramel taste like your drinking "corn candy." Definitely made for slow sipping in small quantities.

Thig, did you make the kit as per instructions or did you make some changes? What was your final abv?

I have done the toasted caramel and coffee port the last 2 years
I agree the caramel is sweet but good. Taste just like caramel, but what about the coffee. How was it? I am trying to decide between the caramel and the coffee:?

Thig, did you make the kit as per instructions or did you make some changes? What was your final abv?

I added additional alcohol both times to get the abv up to about 20%. I added brandy the first year and 190proof Everclear the second year. Personally I like the Everclear addition better, it takes less and doesn't change the taste to me.

I also tweaked the coffee port per Joeswine thread, primarily adding some instant coffee.

I agree the caramel is sweet but good. Taste just like caramel, but what about the coffee. How was it? I am trying to decide between the caramel and the coffee:?

I love the coffee port but then I love coffee. I tweak it as stated above per Joeswine thread on the coffee port. I actually like the coffee port better than any of the others I have tried.

Port kits

THE COFFEE PORT OVER TIME TAKES ON A CHOCOLATE NUANCE AND THE TOASTED CARAMEL TAKES ON A VANILLA BACKGROUND,BOTH ARE VERY GOOD AND EASY TO TRANSFORM INTO A BETTER FINISHED PRODUCT.I WOULD BE LEARY OF THE SALTED ASPECT ,IT'S GREAT FOR THE REAL THING BUT PORT,SALTY EVEN A LITTLE???:wy THE COFFEE PORT KIT IS JUST A WINNER ALL THE WAY AROUND...........WHEN YOU DO MAKE IT (THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX)

Coffee Port First Place - Copy (2).jpg

IMG_20150421_141925799 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
port style kits

WHAT IS MOCHA MEAN??:a1 ?????IS AIT A TRUE FLAVOR OR????

In many parts of the world, "mocha" has come to be understood as a coffee with a unique flavor that sets it aside from other beans. Many special coffee beverages use these particular beans as part of the basic recipe, as well as include the word in the name for the customized beverage. For example, a basic "mocha*latte" includes the combination of the coffee brewed from these beans, a small amount of*chocolate syrup*or powder, and a light topping of steamed milk. As this drink has increased in popularity, many people still refer to it by this name, even when other beans are used to make the coffee in it.

Copied off the Internet.

Does anyone still have the RJ Spagnols port kits available?

Not sure what you are looking for but the pre-order is going on now for a fall delivery. If you are talking about left over from last year for immediate delivery, I doubt it.

Latest posts

Back