Thought Experiment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinkanator

Junior
Reaction score
I was thinking today (and lately) about different yeasts and how they can impart different flavors. The problem being that there are so many to try, and it would get expensive to try on 1 gallon batches of wine....

So here is my thought experiment...

If take how every many 1 gallon jugs and fill all with equal sugar and water, yeast nutrient, then each jug with a different yeast and let it ferment.

Then taste the fermented waters and see the differences.....Ideas? Good idea? Bad idea?

I think in theory that is a great idea. However, in reality, I don't believe it will give you the results you are looking for.
Certain yeasts are geared, for say, fruit wines, where others are not.
Certain yeasts are geared for say, white wines, where others are not.
You see where I am going.

I don't believe just using sugar water will really show you what each yeast has to offer.

@ Wineforfun,

That is a good point, but what if I based/grouped them upon there major category? Meaning I test and taste all the fruit wine yeast together, red ones together and so on....

A more "useful" experiment might be to make a large batch of red or white wine must and then divide that must equally into different vessels and then pitch the different yeasts. If all the identical jugs contain identical volumes of identical juice and all the jugs are fermented at identical ambient temperatures then any difference in flavor will be the result of the yeast. At the end of the day, you will have drinkable wines (hopefully) and you will have some idea of the different impact different strains of yeast can have on the same wine.

It would be difficult for a yeast to enhance a flavor that didn't exist. Read the descriptions provided by the yeast seller, they know how the yeasts act.

I am with Bernard on this one. There is a lot more going on during fermentation than simple conversion of sugar to alcohol. You will not get the same results in water than you will in grape juice. If you do go ahead with the water test, I would suggest that you also add acid.

@Pinkanator,
Agree with what all the others said. That is what I was getting at. I think you need the flavors of the fruits, juices, etc. to really bring what the yeast has to the table.

Latest posts

Back