Stuck fermentations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mazaruni

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I think I have stuck fermentations in two buckets of Chilean juice, a merlot and a cab franc. I measured with a refractometer and the room temp has been around 72 degrees. It tastes good, but SG is not moving. Any ideas how I could restart? The data is pasted below. These are my 4th stuck fermentations in a row and I think I'm in a Bermuda Triangle for yeast.

Thanks for the advice!

Merlot and Franc
Started April 17.
Merlot SG = 1.088; Franc SG = 1.087

April 26
Merlot SG = 1.036; Franc SG = 1.040

May 3
Merlot SG = 1.025; Franc SG = 1.027

May 19. Racked both into carboys
Merlot SG = 1.025; Franc SG = 1.025

May 25
Merlot SG = 1.025

You aren't in a Bermuda Triangle. Once alcohol is present a refractometer had to be adjusted to give the true reading. I am on my phone and can't give you the exact link, but there are many places on the Web that will give you the correct reading based on the starting sg. There are some threads here that have the links also. I would imagine you are done. A hydrometer is an easier tool after fermentation starts.

Rescued from Bermuda Triangle

Thank you for your answer! You are right. They are all totally dry, 990 to 996. I wish all problems could just go away like that. Really appreciate the post.

Latest posts

Back