Elmer's spent grain dog treats

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmer

Reaction score
I know this is nothing new recipe is all over the inter-webs but I give it a shot:

4 cups spent Pilsner malt
1 cup peanut butter
2 cups flour
2 eggs

Mix together get it about a quarter-inch thick put it on some parchment paper
Half hour at 350F
2 hour at 225F

ImageUploadedByWine Making1432581646.749569.jpg

I'm with BernardSmith on this. Besides the issue with hops, grains is not a healthy choice for your pets.

But you need to be very careful with hops as hops are poisonous for dogs.

I'm with BernardSmith on this. Besides the issue with hops, grains is not a healthy choice for your pets.

There are zero hops in the spent grain. Hops are added to the boiling pot after the grains have already been pulled.
I am very cautious that the grain and hop are never near one another.
I even go to the effort to shoo my puppy away from my hop/grape plants. She knows better!

There are only 4 ingredients:
Pilsner malt
peanut butter
flour
eggs.

I make sure to keep my puppy away from the hops and even my hop plants.

Also the information I have found indicates that grains can lead to obesity, but I only use them as treats and not to supplement meals.

Not to mention my dog eats sticks in my yard, how bad can some grain be?

Last edited:
you can use any spent grain, not just pilsen. my dogs went nuts while I was making mine, even before they go to taste them.
When making a large batch, I just rolled them out on a cookie sheet and used a pizza cutter to score lines in them. after about an hour at 225, I had to flip them. Just took another cookie sheet, pressed them together and a quick flip for another 45 min to an hour ( till dry)
as for grain not being good for dogs? looking at the ingredients in most dog foods, its grain.

I specifically made an effort to separate the corn from the grain.
because I did not know how much corn a dog could or should eat.
But as far as grain went I know some all grain brewers, who just like Doug make good use of the spent grain.

Cant be any worse than
079100514106C.jpg

No it can't be any worse that Milk Bones but why would you give your dog that? Grains are not a healthy item for your pets to eat, they get very little nutrition from an grains. I'm sure your pets like them but they are not healthy for them! There is too many good treats that are a benefit to them, I see no reason to be giving them this. Sorry!

I know it is just a treat, they don't get it that often, this maybe true but have you thought about how many times your dog gets treats in the course of the day? Are you the only one who gives them treats?

No it can't be any worse that Milk Bones but why would you give your dog that? Grains are not a healthy item for your pets to eat, they get very little nutrition from an grains. I'm sure your pets like them but they are not healthy for them! There is too many good treats that are a benefit to them, I see no reason to be giving them this. Sorry!

I know it is just a treat, they don't get it that often, this maybe true but have you thought about how many times your dog gets treats in the course of the day? Are you the only one who gives them treats?

I am the only person who gives my dog treats (aside from SWMBO and my kids with permission).
My Dog gets treats for good behavior on walks and in the yard.
There may be little nutritional value to grain, but there is also egg and natural peanut butter, so there is a bit of protein.

I have to say that Dog food and treats can be quite costly. Since I am already brewing and have the ingredients, rather than composting I am reusing and making the most of what I have. I have to stretch what I have.

I would also point out that there is little nutritional value to wine or beer they are just wasted calories, yet we all treat ourselves to these treats nightly!

Last edited:
Batch #5
Roasted barley, chocolate malt, oatmeal biscuits.
& grain for my next batch
ImageUploadedByWine Making1449532063.297680.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1449532097.698171.jpg

We have cats so what I do with spent grains is freeze them in 1/2 cup units to thaw and add to the dough for the bread I bake. Delicious.

Latest posts

Back