Cab on it's own roots.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwhill40

Reaction score
Another obscure question from the mad experimenter. Since I have plenty of space, no fear of failing, and don't mind spending the time to educate myself
I have planted several vinifera varieties from cuttings and they are growing on their own roots. I have yet to see any phylloxera galls on leaves or any sign of the bug. I have seen the galls on wild muscadines in the vicinity.

Any one else have any experience with growing vinifera on it's own roots? I have read the little louse doesn't travel easily in sandy soil. Is it just a matter of time?
I have used a small dose of imidacloprid each spring for leaf hopper protection, will that keep phylloxera at bay?

My little block of grapes is in the middle of a large fescue and bermuda pasture. I'm wondering if that is inhospitable to the bugs.

As always, Thank you to everyone for sharing your knowledge. The vines in the pics are beginning year 3.

150523_0014.jpg

150523_0015.jpg

150523_0016.jpg

My guess is that they will eventually die out. It isn't the foliar form of the phylloxera that is damaging to the vines, it is the root feeding larvae. They will eventually strip all the roots and the vines will slowly lose vigor and probably die. Since you like to experiment, why not learn to graft also and add your own resistant rootstock to the vines? Have fun and remember to share what you learn.

Update - Own-rooted vines look awesome. I have noticed a marked difference in vegetative vigor between own rooted and the 101-14 grafted vines. The number of clusters are maybe 1/4 of the grafted vines but still ample. I haven't used any chemical fertilizer but all twelve varieties I'm growing produce an absolute profusion of clusters. It hurts me worse than it does them to prune and see the ground littered with so many clusters. Attachment is a good example Tannat. It is loving life in North Alabama.

150607_0005.jpg

There's also rootstocks that would show similar growth if that's what you are aiming for. The phylloxera doesn't like sandy soil but I'm quite certain your non grafted vinifera vines will eventually die because of them.

I do have some vines on they own roots as well and it is quite hit and miss. They are 7 years old now and most of them are almost dead. They did give some fruits, but I don't think that you can keep them alive for long, phylloxera will get them eventually.

Back