Oak age

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehammonds

Reaction score
I know this topic has been discussed, but I see a lot of variance in the responses. I have a vadai 30 liter barrel. The third wine is in it currently, a cab/merlot. How long should the wine stay in this round? I was planning for three months. Also, for the next rounds, what's the typical and max barrel age time? I'm making kits only for now.

Oops, typo: it's a 20 liter. The below post was helpful, just wondering if the responses differ much for 20 liter barrels.

Last edited:
You have left out quite a bit from the equation here.

How long was the first wine in for?

How long was the 2nd wine in for?

You should be able to get it to 12 weeks with that wine. I would check it around 9-10 weeks and see what you think. You will be completely out of free sulfite by then. Do you have an accurate way to check SO2? I would not go past 5-6 months with that small of barrel and you would need to stay on top of sulfite levels all along the way.

Thanks. I have a way to test so2, though not a great tester. I'll expect to dose probably each month.

Don't use kits. Buy juice and craft it with a yeast you like that may achieve your objectives. The result is no kit taste. The wine will have a nose and your oak barrels will function like they should

Don't use kits. Buy juice and craft it with a yeast you like that may achieve your objectives. The result is no kit taste. The wine will have a nose and your oak barrels will function like they should

To be clear, I guess you are saying that you prefer juice over kits?

Most red wines, and a few whites, can benefit from barrel aging.

You get the same benefit regardless of weather you are doing a kit, a pail of juice, or processing whole fruit. A barrel will function exactly the same for each one of those choices.

Latest posts

Back