Have you seen oak do this?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codeman

Reaction score
So I have an Amarone bulk aging that I just added additional oak to. A few days after I added the oak I saw this (picture) have you seen oak do this before?
I tested the SO2 immediately with a Vinmetrica SC300, it was 56 ppm. Just to be on the safe side I added another 1/8 teaspoon k meta and put it in the fridge.
Is this an infection?
I twisted the carboy side to side and it breaks loose pretty easy but parts stay clinging onto the glass.

1432332680582.jpg

Could you point out what you are seeing? I can't tell from just looking at the picture.

Yes it's the long sort of 'drip' but it's on the inside of the carboy coming from the oak floating at the top.

1432336294084.jpg

To me, it looks like undissolved KMS or sorbate. I have never seen that happen but I suspect with the sulfite levels you have established, you should be fine.

Consider putting oak in a sanitized mesh bag w glass marbles or stainless steel weights. If they dry out on top they can get mold or bacteria growth.

Last edited:
I believe its probably left over Sanitizer. I had a patch of white bubbles in a batch of petit verdot... as long as it doesn't begin to spread I think you are fine.. I'll try to post a pic or two of my similar situation...

1432486267888.jpg

1432486283466.jpg

Or it could possibly be some sort of yeast residue that got caught on the oak.. Does not look like an infection to me though.

Latest posts

Back