Frost Protection

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisvt

Pomfret, VT
Reaction score
National Weather Service has us forecast to get down to 30 degrees Friday night. Most of our Marquette vines have an 1-2 inches of new growth, the St. Croix are not far behind and the Petite Pearl just barely made it to bud burst stage. Our vineyard site drains frost decently, but I'm still concerned, especially given that the Marquette and St. Croix are in their 3rd growing season and we were hoping to get a limited crop this fall.

Should I just ride it out and let the secondary buds push through? Irrigate with water and to get some ice build-up(we have access to irrigation piping and pumps)? Light a bunch of bonfires?

I am keeping my fingers crossed for Friday night also across the lake. Not as cold as that predicted, but still cold. My vines are mostly about 6 to 8 inches with the Frontenac at over a foot long shoots.

How many vines do you have? If enough to warrant it, the water might be your best bet. Bonfires have limited effect and may do more damage than good. Good luck to you.

We have 250 vines, 200 of which are in their third growing season. The 50 Petite Pearl are in their second year. We'll see....

Good luck to you as well.

All my vines were hit last Tuesday, got down to 25F here. Most had 3-4" new growth, Hopefully secondary buds will pop?

Well think I made it through the frost unskaived but cutting it close Don't look like we got the frost they were predicting :db I did take all the necessary precautions though! Hope all of you come out unhurt by this late frost as well!:b

The next little while just before the sun begins warming it up will be critical here. Thermometer showing 34. The wind blowing helped, but it has just died now. I hope chrisvt doesn't freeze out this AM.

We seem to have come through alright. Just a bit of frost burning on low shoots we are taking off anyways. I froze my butt off at the Farmer's Market all morning. All the vendors were dressed like it was winter. By afternoon it was in the 60's and we are expecting close to 90 by mid-week and even 80 by tomorrow. There is a chance of rain for the next few days, which is good as we are running at a defecit right now.

Glad to hear everyone else did ok, we were fine as well. We had cloud cover, rain showers and wind until about midnight (we were at the southeastern end of that narrow band that was running through Saranac Lake) which I think delayed the cold in arriving. It got down to 34 at about 4am but never went any lower. I was worried about the usual drop that occurs just before sunrise but it never happened.

Latest posts

Back