Rhubarb started

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montanaWineGuy

Reaction score
Last evening my neighbor dropped off huge stalks of Rhubarb (maybe 5lbs), and I snipped the bit I had growing. Probably not enough fruit (of course rhubarb is a vegetable), so I tossed in a gallon of Huckleberries.

I did not read the instructions well enough, and added the pectin enzyme and yeast nutrient before the water had cool. Should I add more enzyme and nutrient after it cools, just before I add the yeast?

It will take a while for the rhubarb to break down to release the juice but it will eventually. I usually add sugar to dry Rhubarb using the sugar to draw out the juice.

The oxalic acid, the major acid found in Rhubarb might be too high if untreated. Test and if in a normal range, leave it be.

I usually take a portion of the juice (~1/4 volume) and add ca carbonate to completely titrate the acid out. I then add in Tartaric acid until taste and acid testing results look good, around 0.65-.75% (mainly based on taste.

Good luck!

-Marc

Moved all to a 5 gallon carbon yesterday. Added 2 cans of concentrated grape juice to top off the carbon and added a 1/4 pack of yeast. Very active fermentation despite being outside with temp below 50 degrees.

Latest posts

Back