WineXpert LE Italian Super Tuscan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgift

Reaction score
Just pitched yeast into this kit. Was surprised by a SG reading of 1.072 after adding the grape pack in provided bag. I stirred and waited an hour and it didn't change. I then added 2 cups of powdered sugar, raising the SG to 1.082. I plan to measure a couple of more times today but I am concerned that a big red needs 13-14% alcohol. Seems like this is headed to 10-12%. Thoughts? Others experience with this kit?

You should've waited longer before adding more sugar.
Mine was exactly the same ~1.072 and after adding the skins it went to 1.094 by the next morning.

In my experience, I don't get the full SG rise from the grape pack for 48 hours or more. The last kit I did was an Eclipse, and the SG started at 1.086. 48 hours later, it was up to 1.102. (I used a slow-starting yeast, viz., BM45, so there was time for the sugar to come out before the yeast started decreasing the SG much.)

I am doing the LE Super Tuscan in a month or so; I'll keep an eye on that issue!

The WE Shiraz-Cabernet from 2014 had the same issues. Folks were reporting really low SG's (like in the high 1.070s). WE Customer Service and Tim Vandergrift told people that the sugars in that grape pack were very slow to dissolve and could take a few days. I mixed mine up and let it sit for about 12 hours, stirring very well several times during that span. I ended up pitching the yeast when the SG read 1.096, and I know it was still rising at that point. Bottom line, you most likely would have been fine leaving it alone. 2 cups of sugar won't kill you, but the wine might be a little hot for a while. It'll just take a little longer to mellow out.

Do you have active fermentation yet? Keep stirring and re-measuring. You should see your SG rising until fermentation really kicks in, and maybe even a little after that.

Measured after 6 hours and it rose a bit to 1.085......more in the am

Last edited:
Ok it reads 1.086 after vigorous stirring 20 hours in. More sugar? I don't want a flabby Super Tuscan......even measured with second hydrometer. Fermentation is barely underway. Just a little airlock activity and small bubbles in the musk.

Last edited:
Instructions say 1.075-1.100......current SG would suggest 11%+. If I trusted the kit I would add sorbate......I don't. Are all kits, even of the same type, equal or is there some variance? I have never tasted or seen a Super Tuscan less than 13%...

SG now at 1.070.......this kit never got above 1.090, maybe, measured no more than 1.086. I think this is low for this type of wine? Added another cup of sugar. Other ideas? Trust the kit? This is disappointing......
Tried to contact WE with no response. Do they respond since Tim left?

Last edited:
SG now at 1.070.......this kit never got above 1.090, maybe, measured no more than 1.086. I think this is low for this type of wine? Added another cup of sugar. Other ideas? Trust the kit? This is disappointing......

Maybe you should get into the engineering of new kits. I'm sure WE is hiring...
:)

Well I'm very new to this so don't believe a word I say...

Having said that, you pitched the yeast,
So fermenting has started, there's no way you can measure how high the sg would have been if you had waited 48 hours after adding the skins.
Suger is now converted to alcohol lowering your sg while the skins still may be releasing sugar.

My experience is 1.5 kits exactly so ignore all I say, but if I paid a lot of money for a kit like this I would just trust the manufacturer and instructions and patiently wait before I trow in cups of sugar...

Last edited:

I'd try to contact the reseller where you bought it from, if there was anything wrong with the kit they should be taking care of you.

adding one pound of sugar to 5 gallons of water will give you about a 1% ABV increase, 20% less with 6 gallons. With out breaking open a 1lb package of sugar, it looks like its about 2 cups. Hope this helps.

adding one pound of sugar to 5 gallons of water will give you about a 1% ABV increase, 20% less with 6 gallons. With out breaking open a 1lb package of sugar, it looks like its about 2 cups. Hope this helps.

Thanks, most helpful. It takes allot of sugar to move the needle. How long would you wait on a grape pack kit to get actual impact on SG? 24-48? Do you think 1.086 at 24 hrs. is low for this kit and wine?

Super Tuscan

I'll be starting this kit next week and will start sg At minimum of 1.1o that's at 13% thats were these style wines are at there best,those two packages of dextrose = less two cups of simple syrup /1 quart of simple syrup moves up 1 full % point, YOUR WINES SHOUID ALWAYS START AT 1.10 THAT'S IS A GOOD BALLANCING POINT AND NOT HOT.

2.jpg

Last edited:
This is very good discussion. I am still a newbie but of the 15 kits I have done so far only one was even close to 1.1. It seems the manufacturers start pretty low with sugars. At this point, trusting the kit, seems like a formula for flabby wine. Sour_grapes, watch the SG on this kit carefully.....and report please.

Thanks, most helpful. It takes allot of sugar to move the needle. How long would you wait on a grape pack kit to get actual impact on SG? 24-48? Do you think 1.086 at 24 hrs. is low for this kit and wine?

Latest posts

Back