wire size

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernman

Junior
Reaction score
Is 9 gauge wire too big to use for a backyard vineyard with 96' rows? I have a chance to get some used wire for free from a tobacco farm that no longer needs it. I am also going to buy some used 4-6 diameter 12' long posts from the same tobacco farm for $7.00 each.

Will that wire size be too big and if not is there anything I need to know to use it?

Thanks

You can use anything that works for you for rows that size. If the posts are too long for you then just cut them to length. I am assuming that the 9 guage wire is just a soft rolled wire that will bend alright. It will stretch more than high tensile wire but should be alright for that length. It is too big to use gripples so you will need to attach and tighten another way.

9 gauge will work fine especially for the top wire on a high cordon trellis. Visit a farm and home store near you and it will have the necessary adjuncts for installation of a high tensile fence which will work for this wire. if not try the web with Orchard Supply, Midwest Vineyard supply or Tractor supply. Best thing to get is staples about two inches long with barbs to hold in place also wire tighteners to take up slack when installing and in subsequent year when wire will sag from weight of vines.

I'm new to this forum and I too am in the Connecticut Valley. I have a pallet of used wire from the shade fields. There are 2 sizes of wire no.8(some use 9) and no.11.

I just planted 10 new Frontenac vines behind my farm shop a few weeks back and I plan to use the no. 8 wire, 4 wire VSP. It can be a little tough to handle, but it can carry a lot of weight. I have a tensioner tool that tightens the shade wires, but I'm not sure where you can buy them. I would recommend the heaviest staples you can find and also that you set your dead men as deep as possible. I bet you could get away with no 11 for a few of the wires if you have some handy.

Also, if you can get shade netting, I've had luck using it on my older grapes as bird netting. But keep in mind, I'm only growing grapes as a hobby so I don't know how that would work on a real long span where humidity could build up on you...

Hope the shade salvage works well for you!

Hi neighbor and welcome to the forum. You probably aren't too far from me if you are in Connecticut Valley.

I will be picking up the posts next week and will be starting to setup my backyard vineyard. I can take my time setting it up as I have not purchased vines yet and will do so for next spring.

Good luck with the Frantenac. Let me know how they do in our area.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back