Head Training

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wanders

Junior
Reaction score
Last spring I planted six petite syrah vines that I acquired from a supplier in Santa Rosa. I think they were one full year old when I got them. I wasn't sure how I was going to train them, so I installed a metal t-post to support each and left the posts about 5' in height. Each plant developed well to around the top of the t-post. And, this year they are developing shoots nicely. For several reasons, I have now decided to head train the vines; and, based on what I have read, they should only be around three feet tall -- maybe less.

Couple of questions: 1) Is three feet correct, what about leaving them at 5 feet? 2) Would it be wise to cut them to size now, or wait until a later date? (At some point, I guess I should cut the posts down to size as well.)

Thanks,

If you don't have to cut the posts off, I'd be very hesitant to do that. One of our members took a chain saw and cut his wooden posts to the height he wanted and then found he needed to put them deeper into the ground.

Latest posts

Back