Other Sulfite level in oak barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehammonds

Reaction score
I have a 23 liter oak barrel. My first wine went in the barrel for three weeks with good results. I have an amarone in there now which will stay another two weeks, for a total of six weeks. My next batch, walla walla cab/Merlot, will go in next for 12 weeks total. All kits. My issue: I don't have a sulfite tester yet and can't really afford an expensive vinmetrica currently. I plan to add 1/4 teaspoon of k-meta every four weeks in "hopes" the sulfite level will be acceptable. I know this is far from best practice, but for those of you that precisely measure your sulfite levels in the barrel and adjust accordingly, is this roughly the correct dosage?

Without being able to measure, my recommendation would be 1/4tsp after the first month, then drop to 1/8tsp each additional month. I'm sure others will comment.

I bought one of the $99 A/O rigs from Morewine when I got my first barrel. I would strongly recommend you get a Vinmetrica or an A/O rig of sorts. Without adding anything the barrel will eat up all free SO2 in that 12 weeks time. Its basically like you would be starting over with no SO2 in your wine.

Latest posts

Back