Cellar Craft CC Showcase Argentine Malbec

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richmke

Reaction score
I mixed the Cellar Craft Showcase Argentine Malbec today.

Included:
16L of Juice, and a grape pack.
30 grams of French Oak Heavy, and 30 grams of French Oak Medium, both splinters added in the bag with skins.
100 grams of oak cubes, Hungarian Medium, will be added later (day 80).

Added:
Thanks to Paul, I also added 8 grams of FT Rouge tannins into the primary before pitching the yeast.

I'm following the 180 day kit instructions, so I removed 1 gallon of juice prior to pitching the yeast.

It is in my basement, which is 60 degrees. I'll see what I can do to keep it warm.

SG was 1.080, and after 15 hours dropped to 1.076. So, I have no idea how much sugar the grape pack added.

Last edited:
Sorry, having a brain cramp here: what is the deal with the gallon you remove? I cannot recall what that will be used for in the long run.
Jack Keller's 180 day instructions have the primary fermentation in a 6 USG carboy, so the gallon of must is removed to give room in the carboy for fermentation. It is added back once fermentation calms.

To me, it seems like a wasted couple of steps.

Steve

Jack Keller's 180 day instructions have the primary fermentation in a 6 USG carboy, so the gallon of must is removed to give room in the carboy for fermentation. It is added back once fermentation calms.

To me, it seems like a wasted couple of steps.

Steve

Although it is in a pail, the grape skins add to the volume. So, removing a gallon does help to reduce the likelihood of an overflow.

Although it is in a pail, the grape skins add to the volume. So, removing a gallon does help to reduce the likelihood of an overflow.
If that's the case then you don't have a big enough primary fermenter. At least that's my opinion.

Steve

If that's the case then you don't have a big enough primary fermenter. At least that's my opinion.

But, what I have is cheaper than buying a new one.

It seems to work fine for kits without grape skins. The additional volume of skins is enough to cause me occasional problems. Maybe also because those kits tend to be more foamy.

Back