nutrient additions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocco

Reaction score
I am following the more winemaking manual--

I used go ferm with the yeast as directed, will do fermaid k when fermentation gets going, and another addition of fermaid k when bris is down by a third. After that I was planning on adding DAP to help prevent H2s and keep yeast healthy.

My questions is do you recommend the DAP and if so, when and at what dose?

Morewinemaking does not appear to recommend this...

Do you know what the nutrient level or YAN of the must? What about Brix? Typically DAP is added in addition to a good complex nutrient, but only when the must is considered high risk. High risk is very low must YAN level, and/or high brix >25. As home winemakers we can only make some estimates of addition rates, unless you or a lab runs an analysis on the must. Scott Labs as well as BSG websites have extensive nutrient information available. In general I wouldn't add any nutrients after 10 brix.

Additional information on this thread, as well as others.
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44882

Thanks. Brix is 23. That is a good thread. I will do fermaid k per instruction and save DAP is H2S occurs early on.

Do you think it is an issue that I added optired and lallzyme 48 hours after pitching the yeast? I didn't have it available and had to order it. I figure that the must was still pretty much in the lag phase so by adding it even a little late I still should get most of the benefit? What do you guys think?

I think you're fine, I've added late before and there were no issues, there is still plenty of time for the enzyme and Optired to work.

Latest posts

Back