What ratio would you blend merlot with blackberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
I know it is a matter of what tastes good to me but I would like some suggestions. If you have blended blackberry and merlot, what ratio did you like.

I would do some test first before doing a complete batch. try a 2 to one, merlot, blackberry and see how that taste.

I know it is a matter of what tastes good to me but I would like some suggestions. If you have blended blackberry and merlot, what ratio did you like.

For me, it would depend on what I was trying to accomplish. If I wanted a blended wine of Merlot and Blackberry, I would bench test ratios of 1:1, 2:1, 3:1 and probably 4:1. However, if I were just looking for a background flavor of blackberry in my Merlot, I would have a greater ratio of Merlot to Blackberry, e.g. 15:1 or greater.

A few years ago, I made a 6 gallon batch Barolo to which I added a 96 oz. can of blackberries. The wine turned out very nicely, a nice Barolo taste with just a hint of blackberry.

Agree w/Rocky... Does not take much straight-up flavoring to be noticeable. The lower ratio may be flavorful at first but will be TOO predominant in the next glassful

Yeah, I thought I would probably want blackberry somewhat in the background.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back