Smokers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know we talk about these from time to time. My wife wants to get me one this year and after doing a bit of research the MasterBuilt seems to be a good choice for the money and a beginner. I am looking at either propane or electric. Do any of you smoker owners have a preference of one or the other? These are the two I'm looking at.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004W4NDPY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XJGEGY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I was looking at the electric without a window but the shipping was high and I could get this one with a window and free shipping for just a few dollars more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a couple charcoal smoke cookers I use, but it's not for preserving using smoke.

Only bad thing I've heard about propane that it liberates water as it combusts and will coat your food with the moisture. Supposedly keeps the smoke from penetrating as well. Everyone I know has an electric one.

I prefer electric as well - more constant heat than propane or charcoal.

I just seen that the electric one has - 2,426 customer reviews !! compared to the other model you are looking at - 515 reviews

both have high ratings - I like the idea of looking inside without opening the door and cooling everything down.

Last edited:
I know we talk about these from time to time. My wife wants to get me one this year and after doing a bit of research the MasterBuilt seems to be a good choice for the money and a beginner. I am looking at either propane or electric. Do any of you smoker owners have a preference of one or the other? These are the two I'm looking at.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004W4NDPY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XJGEGY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I was looking at the electric without a window but the shipping was high and I good get this one with a window and free shipping for just a few dollars more.

Dan, I ended up buying that exact one, the one with the window and remote control. I love the remote control but the window gets smoked over and you cannot see through it within one half hour of smoking. Other than that it is an excellent smoker. I bought another one when I returned from Florida without the window and without the remote. It was a mistake. the chip handling is different and the grease tray is too small. My recommendation is to go with the one with the window and remote. It is a great unit! I have cooked brisket, ribs, chicken and a whole turkey in mine, all were excellent!

Mike has an electric one that he got from Lem's. It depends on what you want to do. The one he has is electric and he makes hot sticks and bacon. He doesn't cook ribs, turkey or any type of meat you are having for supper.

We get the old huge propane tanks a 120 gallon I think clean them up some cutting torches some welding couple dozen bottles of homebrew an old axle or an old jet ski trailer and there ya go you got your self one heck of a smoker

I have this one:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0034VXAY0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I love it. I telecommute a couple of days a week so I can start it in the morning and its ready by supper.

Also when the electronics fail in the future ( they all will...) I can cut a hole in the bottom and use charcoal briquettes in a coffee can. That's how my Dad did it with a old fridge back in the 70's.

Rob

I have a Weber bullet, charcoal smoker. Used a mix of pecan/hickory wood. Here is yesterday's BBQ with it. Ribs turned out fantastic. Just wanted to post the pic :)

1430763959585.jpg

1430763991411.jpg

I've had the MasterBuilt, without the window for about 4 years now and I use it quite a bit with no issues. Living in WI, it can get fairly chilly and that doesn't mean the smoking season needs to come to an end. Its held 225 without a problem when it has been 10 below and windchills 25 below. A buddy gave me a Bradley that had broken and it was an easy fix to get it going. They are convenient with the self feeding pucks when you are doing a 20 hour smoke with a big pork butt. The temp swings are much greater in it (20+ degrees either way of set point) and it can't hold temps on a windy day at 30 degrees above zero. So, the MasterBuilt is the one I use the most. If you do have to smoke in cold weather, I would think the window may make it difficult to hold temps. The MasterBuilt is a very well insulated unit. I do think you get a better flavor with using real wood as compared to the Bradley with the charred pucks. Good Luck and Good Eats!

Crabapples split in half and smoked with apple wood, I was just kidding but now I think we have to try that this year! WVMJ

Latest posts

Back