Adding raisins to whites

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhawk

Reaction score
I normally add canister of raisins to my Chilean red juice buckets during secondary. Wondering about whites. I have a Chardonnay and a Sauvignon Blanc. Anybody done this to there whites? How where the results? thanks

I have added yellow raisins with good results. Bench trials showed it does add a little extra body. I'm not going to say a ton, but just enough to make it worth the efffort.

I like the idea of what shoebiedoo is doing but I would not use raisins. They will give you a slight oxidized flavor. Instead I would use gum Arabic or arabinol.

Instead of raisins try tannins, I have used FT Blanc soft tannin with great success.

Adding raisins

THE TWO WHITES YOUR SPEAKING OF WOULD DO BETTER WITH A SMALL WHITE GRAPE FPAC AND TO THE CHARDONNAY A 1/2 CUP OF MEDIUM TOASTED OAK ALSO ,BOTH THE GRAPE FPAC AND THE OAK IN THE SECONDARY,WHEN I TELL YOU THEY'LL MAKE A DIFFERENCE THEY WILL,NOT ONLY IN TEXTURE BUT IN THE BODY OF THE WINE.THE OTHER ITEM THAT WILL MAKE THESE WINES BETTER ALL AROUND IS TO CAPITALIZE THE WINE IN THE PRIMARY TO 1.10 AND USE D47 FOR THE YEAST .JUST MY THOUGHTS.:i:i:i:i:i:i:i:i:i:i:i:i:i:i:i:i:i:i:i:i:i:i:i

15.jpg

IMG_20150305_141744806.jpg

11 (2).jpg

8.jpg

Last edited:
Instead of raisins try tannins, I have used FT Blanc soft tannin with great success.

Julie, I'm getting a Chilean Pinot Grigio bucket and was planning to use FT Blanc Soft at the beginning of fermentation. Noticed that if can be used during ageing also. When did you use yours and did you use the amount that they normally specify (0.2 - 0.6 grams/gallon)?

@joeswine - what yeast would you use for a pinot grigio?

I use it during aging and yes I use the recommend dosage. I use it in all my whites and I am very happy with it. Mouthfeel is great and my whites just seem to be better!

Making a FPAC

YES I do it's easy and can be fun, what you need to do is depending on your location and availability of fruit ,when you seed a grape red ,white or of a specific type,(concord, or Corinthian) follow my program and simmer it down vacuum seal it and use it when you plan to ,it will be there at the ready, easy and simple and much more rewarding then just processing juice....:br

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

IMG_20140828_160755526_HDR.jpg

Latest posts

Back