3 Gallon Primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampDog35

Junior
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on a place to purchase a couple of 3 or 4 gallon primary buckets for fermentation. My local shop doesnt offer any and I didnt see any on thd common brewing supply websites. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Chad

Last edited:
Also some bakeries get stuff in buckets that are slightly smaller than 5 gallons, but have weight measurements so I don't know how much they hold.

Thank you. I've been having some back issuses and 3 gallons is much easier to lift instead of the 6.5 gallons.

:se
Thank you. I've been having some back issuses and 3 gallons is much easier to lift instead of the 6.5 gallons.

When fermenting, bigger is better, if I was doing a 1-3 gallon batch, it would be in a 5 gallon bucket. The difference in weight between an empty 3 and 5 gallon bucket is negligible.

Just make a 3 gallon batch in the regular fermenter bucket. Measure out 3 gallons of water and put a marker line on the outside to use as a guide when making the batch. If you own one it is even cheaper than a new bucket even from a big box store.

Thank you everyone. I was thinking about the air gap with the small batch in a big primary. That doesn't cause a problem?

Latest posts

Back