I got them Black Rot blues

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwhill40

Reaction score
Alas... Three weeks of serious rain to the point of standing water and not a chance to spray and the black rot and god only knows what else is eating away at my babies. Sprayed with Mancozeb. The vines are pushing hard and actually look good if you don't look too closely. At what point do I begin surgery and start cutting off infected shoots. cordons, leaves???

150426_0002.jpg

Keep spraying at a shorter interval and see how the vines respond. Don't freak out too quick. The vines will likely recover alright and hopefully since the clusters haven't formed yet they can remain black rot free. If they get it bad, then you could remove them.

Thanks For the reply. Yeah, it is easy to get wiggy when you take that second look. Are you familiar with the effectiveness of myclobutanil products? In my reading it seems that may be a good product to alternate with mancozeb.

It is always a good idea to switch up the fungicides that are effective. I used to use Nova until they didn't renew the label in NY but now use Rally (another brand). They are all sterol inhibitors and you can only use them 3 or 4 times a year so alternating with Manzate ore Mancozeb, dithane etc and later Captan gives full season protection. Rally is also effective for powdery Mildew. It is expensive though but not as bad as the Matrix I use (preemergent herbicide at $19 an ounce in a 20 ounce canister).

The mancozeb stopped the black rot immediately. After three weeks of rain every day the weather changed to San Diego weather but nicer for three weeks. So the weather played well.
Two weeks after I used brand name Immunox because it was easily accessible at the big box stores. It seemed to keep the black rot in check. Two weeks later I just sprayed again and I must say, the signs are still there with the pitted shoots but the vines blasted past the trauma and they are in beast mode.

I hate to spray and I look like a emergency response team from a bad sci-fi movie with a full painters suit, air mask, and goggles but without spraying for fungus my vines would be dying now.

The offspring in the pic is 6' 4" for reference. See, he is good for something. :D

150523_0000.jpg

Back