WineXpert Stalled fermentation help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgift

Reaction score
I started an Eclipse Sonoma Pinot Noir on the 23 of this month. I added the supplied Bourgovin RC 212 yeast to a must including a cup of raisins at 1.094 SG and had an vigorous initial fermentation. I got some yeast energizer (LD Carlson according to instructions) for my birthday and added about four days in and the fermentation seems to have stalled at 1.002. There is no visual indication of continued fermentation at the air lock. When I stir there is a slight fizz. At this low SG what would you recommend? Patience, more yeast, other ideas?

Patience. Take daily SG Readings. If they remain unchanged for 2 days, report back with your daily readings.

Patience, I've done this kit and it will be GREAT. RC 212 in finicky. Let it set, check the SG every week to monitor any change. If after 3-4 weeks the SG is still on 1.002 you could add some more yeast.

I had a batch stuck like this once and it took 3 months to get below 0.96, but it got there. There was no visible airlock activity.

EC1118 should finish it off.

I would NOT add anymore nutrient.

Thanks, begs the question as to why, when and how to use the nutrient? Will keep progress posted.

Pretty consistently at 72F but will give it a try.....

Last edited:
Day 5, SG 1.000, still no visible fermentation with heat 78F......should I rack as instructed to secondary?

I usually rack around 1.000. It sounds like your progressing just fine. Give it a couple weeks in secondary.

Day 5, SG 1.000, still no visible fermentation with heat 78F......should I rack as instructed to secondary?

After one day, it dropped 0.002. At that rate, it will be down to .996 at day 7. If you rack now, there is less yeast around, and it will drop slower.

Some people would rack now to get it off the lees. IMHO, two more days are fine.

Thanks, begs the question as to why, when and how to use the nutrient? Will keep progress posted.
With a wine kit, the needed nutrients are in there already, so, never would be my guess. I recently read an article in an old Winemaker Magazine that suggested both not enough and too much nutrients could cause a stuck fermentation (or in your case, perhaps a sluggish fermentation?).

Last edited:
I started an Eclipse Sonoma Pinot Noir on the 23 of this month. I added the supplied Bourgovin RC 212 yeast to a must including a cup of raisins at 1.094 SG and had an vigorous initial fermentation. I got some yeast energizer (LD Carlson according to instructions) for my birthday and added about four days in and the fermentation seems to have stalled at 1.002. There is no visual indication of continued fermentation at the air lock. When I stir there is a slight fizz. At this low SG what would you recommend? Patience, more yeast, other ideas?

Visible signs of fermentation are not useful in winemaking. The only thing that will tell you how things are going is your hydrometer.

Sounds like it's progressing and you really don't have a stalled fermentation.

You can rack at 1.000 or ferment to dry in the primary; either way is fine.

That's going to be a very nice wine when it's complete and aged!

Heather

I also think things will be fine.....SG .999. Going to rack to secondary and wait. Thanks I will tell the end of the story......Heather sounds like you may have made it? If so would it benefit from third barrel use oak?

I have made this kit. I did not use extra oak, and it is one of the best wines I've made.

Latest posts

Back