Press size

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocco

Reaction score
What press sizes go along with what volume of grapes?

I.e, if I'm planning on 180 pounds of grapes to make 12 gallons, would most use a 25 liter? How many gallons/pounds should when start thinking about moving to next size?

Size and portability are more important to me than cost. I like being able to lift the 25 and move to a table top.

If that is all you are going to make I would seriously consider renting one or making a bucket press.

I hear you. I rented the first year and purchased the next. I had to drive ~ 200 miles RT to haul equipment back and forth. I ended up going with a #30 and I crush almost 1000lbs CA fruit each Fall plus ~ 100lbs of estate cold hardy grapes.

I have an 18L press, which I believe equates to a #25. I process 10-12 gallons pretty efficiently with it. I wanted a #30, but got this one for $125 used and didn't want to pass up what I thought was a good deal.

I would recommend you go with a #30.... I used that for a few years and just upgraded to a #35. For your 180lbs you can probably do it in one full press with a # 30.......

I would recommend you go with a #30.... I used that for a few years and just upgraded to a #35. For your 180lbs you can probably do it in one full press with a # 30.......

I like the 25 which sits on a table top.

30 would be a better size though. Do you like the 35? Do you have it on the floor or raised up? If on the floor, what do you press in to?

Last edited:
The big question to ask is this.. Do you see yourself making more? If so, go with at least a 30 and entertain the idea of even going bigger. One pet peeve of mine is to waste money on upgrades.

Besides, the price difference of going to the next size is not all that much.

Purchase with your future in mind, and you will save in the long run.

I am not sure of the number, but mine is big enough to press a petulant child.. LOL....

It is hydraulic and purchased new in 1998. Since then, I have replaced the wood and had the bands refinished... I call her Gertrude...

(Yes I am sick enough to actually have named my press)

2010-08-13 18.37.26.jpg

I am impressed with Gertrude! She is beautiful John! I wish my little Bertha was hydraulic. My hubby is my hydraulic force mechanism. Lol

So in my research

30 holds 8 gallons
35 holds 13 gallons

This is grape volume right?

So if I'm planning on 12 gallons of wine, grape volume is 30%? So 4 gallons of skin? Doesn't seem right....how to I interpret this... If I go w a 30, will I be able to do skins for 12 gallons of wine in one press?

Back