Racking after clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbyrob

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I've been using this forum for a while before and during my first wine kit and finally decided to pose a question. I'm making a Worlds Vineyard Riesling and I am currently 1 week post degassing/clearing. Now, the kit says to check clarity after 2 weeks and if it is clear, you can bottle but I plan on letting the wine bulk age for about another month before filtering and bottling. That being said, could it cause a problem if I rack the wine off of the sediment now and add additional sulfites? I assume it wont hurt the final product, but I am not sure. The main reason i want to transfer now is because my spare carboy will be utilized in a few days for a zinfandel I'm making and doing it now will save me some extra transfer steps later.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum!

My procedure with kits is to rack for bulk aging when the instructions say you can bottle. I personally would NOT add any additional sulfites at this racking. After 2-3 month bulk aging and before bottling is when I would add 1/4 tsp. of k-meta for a 6 gallon/23L batch.

I agree with Bill. I assume that you have added the sulfite that came in the kit as part so some of the final instructions. I would not add more sulfite at this time. I would just rack and bulk age then filter and bottle. You can test for SO2 levels at that time but I would think you have enough in the wine now.

Back