WineXpert Favorite Island Mist.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freqflyer

Reaction score
I have made the following.

Island Mist Blackberry Cabernet. I added half the f-pack upfront. Good but A huge blackberry taste. I think I might try again and save the f-pack for the end.

Green Apple Riesling. The ladies love this. It's good but not my favorite. I've made two batches.

Exotic Fruits White Zinfandel. This is good but not the best of the bunch.

Strawberry Watermelon Shiraz. This stuff is awesome. Even some of the ladies say it's better than the green apple. I'm making it again.

All were made with 4# added sugar.

Let me know what your favorites are.

Ooohh, we (my girlfriends and I) do a Wine Co-Op with the Mist-style kits and they all love them!

So far it's been:
Island Mist
#1 Peach Apricot - hands down favourite of everyone who tries it
#2 Green Apple - people can't keep their hands off this one!
#3 Strawberry White Merlot - at first they're a little skeptical, then they can't say 'no' to another glass!
Cranberry Malbec - I liked this, and so did most people, but not a fan fav.
Blackberry Cab - some folks liked this, and some not. I wasn't a huge fan personally.

We've got the first go-round with the Raspberry Peach Sangria for the current Co-op, and I have high hopes!

I've done the first three kits several times, as well as a decent selection of Niagara Mist, a few Orchard Breezin', and a couple of Cornucopia kits. Island mist so far has the best flavour, although people who like coconut REALLY like the Cornucopia Coconut.

I have made the following.

Island Mist Blackberry Cabernet. I added half the f-pack upfront. Good but A huge blackberry taste. I think I might try again and save the f-pack for the end.

Green Apple Riesling. The ladies love this. It's good but not my favorite. I've made two batches.

Exotic Fruits White Zinfandel. This is good but not the best of the bunch.

Strawberry Watermelon Shiraz. This stuff is awesome. Even some of the ladies say it's better than the green apple. I'm making it again.

All were made with 4# added sugar.

Let me know what your favorites are.
I had been deciding to get the strawberry watermelon, you have made my decision for me thank you for the recommendation! I have only made a couple of the mist kits and the jury is still out as to favorite

Last edited:
The watermelon merlot is great has anyone made that and the strawberry watermelon?

I haven't made very many of this style kit, but the Peach Apricot Chardonnay is popular with lots of folks.

There is a new RJS Orchard Breezin Strawberry Rhubarb......

Mosti has a Pink Grapefruit Blush that sounds interesting, as well.

There's also the Twisted Mist which has an ABV of 12-13% out of the box.

Heather

Last edited:
Love all the recommendations! Although if I make the Peach Apricot, the Strawberry Watermelon, and the Green Apple which all sound delicious, I will have in the neighborhood of 100 bottles of wine in my cellar. I am the only drinker of sweet wines at my house, and my friends aren't into them either. Do the Island Mist wines stay OK for about 6 months or so after bottling? I visit my family about twice a year and would love to take a couple of cases to them. My status as "favorite relative" would be permanent for sure. :h

The mist kits keep fine if you add extra Kmeta. They do also improve with age like most wines. Most of ours are at least a year old. A few are two years old. They are much better now than they were shortly after bottling. Our personal favorite is the White Cranberry Pinot Gris but it is pretty sweet. Next on our list are Exotic Fruit White Zin and Strawberry White Merlot. Our daughter in law really likes the Pom Zin.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

we like ours dry so we add the full F pack in the beginning and let it ferment to dry. we've done the Dragonfruit Shiraz and just started the Peach Apricot. they do get much better with some aging.

I've made the Blackberry Cab, Green Apple, and Exotics Fruit. The Green Apple is the only one I have repeated because of its popularity.

I will have to find a bottle of Watermelon and try it.

Ooohh, we (my girlfriends and I) do a Wine Co-Op with the Mist-style kits and they all love them!

So far it's been:
Island Mist
#1 Peach Apricot - hands down favourite of everyone who tries it
#2 Green Apple - people can't keep their hands off this one!
#3 Strawberry White Merlot - at first they're a little skeptical, then they can't say 'no' to another glass!
Cranberry Malbec - I liked this, and so did most people, but not a fan fav.
Blackberry Cab - some folks liked this, and some not. I wasn't a huge fan personally.

We've got the first go-round with the Raspberry Peach Sangria for the current Co-op, and I have high hopes!

I've done the first three kits several times, as well as a decent selection of Niagara Mist, a few Orchard Breezin', and a couple of Cornucopia kits. Island mist so far has the best flavour, although people who like coconut REALLY like the Cornucopia Coconut.
I asked my wife to pick from the list of kits for this summer and she chose the Raspberry Peach Sangria. Have you had a chance to try yours yet?

It looks like there's a new member of the Island Mist kits called "Island Mist Coconut Yuzu Pinot Gris".
Anyone tried this ?

Well, I found a thread on the Raspberry Peach Sangria kit and it looks like it has been very well received. I'll be putting in an order ASAP and trying to jam as much other stuff as I can to take advantage of the flat rate shipping.

Well, I found a thread on the Raspberry Peach Sangria kit and it looks like it has been very well received. I'll be putting in an order ASAP and trying to jam as much other stuff as I can to take advantage of the flat rate shipping.

Hey there! No, I've just racked to secondary and have not degassed or added the Fpack yet. However, whatever wine base they used smells fantastic!

I'll update once I've had a real taste.

Where, might I ask, are you getting flat rate shipping that includes kits??

It looks like there's a new member of the Island Mist kits called "Island Mist Coconut Yuzu Pinot Gris".
Anyone tried this ?

I just bottled the Coconut Yuzu Pinot Gris. It tastes great! I'm pretty new to wine making, so I mostly followed the instructions exactly. The only thing I did differently was added enough sugar during primary to bump the ABV up to 9.5%, otherwise it would have only been about 6%. At that level, the wine tastes great. It's pretty much ready to drink right away.

I used the whole F-pack during the stabilizing step, as per the instructions. I personally don't find the wine to be excessively sweet, I think it tastes great. Depends on preference I guess.

Latest posts

Back