Advice needed for new vineyard property

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coffeemaster

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all, I am looking for advice on how to improve and or expand existing small vineyard that I am looking to purchase.

The details are as follows:

8 acres with 2400 3+year old vines
3 variates include Vidal blanc, chamburcin, and cab sav.
Property approved for adding barn and house or other
Current owner selling grapes to local wineries

I would like to get suggestions on best way to improve the operation to increase revenue.

Thanks,

--Chris

This is such an open question. I think you need to be specific on what you want to do. But first, state your location!

You can add more vines;
You can better fertilize and manage the vines and get more yields.
Make your own wines if you are ready.

Thanks ResSun. You are correct, it's a pretty open question as I am trying to decide if it's worth buying into land with existing vines. Vineyard is located on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. My goal is to eventually make my own wine and possibly expand production. I was curios at the lower yields of the current owner and was thinking that this was due to young vines.

3+ vines are just producing. The previous owner should not have had any revenue. You should get some harvest from now on.

I think you can check some publications on the grape producing zones in US. If you have the $$ and the energy to manage it, then go for it.

We visited a property with 36 acres of land. The owner planted about 3 acres of Vidal vines for hobby. Then he had a new job and relocated to NY area. My neighbor bought the house (4000+ sq. ft) and the land. But they did not want the vines. I do not know what they did with the vines. So all the money the previous owner spent were probably wasted. 8' metal mess fence, complete trellis system, etc...

Anyhow, good luck with it.

Water? Do you have water for more vines?

$$ to put in more vines/trellis/fence and wait 3 yrs for ?? income. Labor? You or hired? Workers available?? harvest help??

Is there a market for your product?

Sage, great advice. Irrigation is in place. Labor force readily available in the area. This part of Maryland has many wineries that could be potential customers. I'm thinking that I should eventually invest in setting up my own bottling. N

There is an old chestnut regarding the wine business:

To make a little money in wine, start with a lot of money...

See the movie, "American Wine Story", which profiles winemakers and vineyards across the US. Its coming to Pittsfield MA on May 2 if you near there or buy the movie at Amazon.

http://americanwinestory.vhx.tv/#buy

Wine making is as much about the passion and desire to make wine as it is about making a profitable business. I for one don't have the nerve to try but wouldn't try to talk somebody out of it.

I have a hobby vineyard, roughly 1/2 acre and have to say that its a lot of work. I enjoy it though. In Oregon, even 10 acres is considered to be a barely viable size for a commercial vineyard.

Good luck

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back