How to Train First Year Vines?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedSun

Gardener
Reaction score
Do you keep 2-3 canes to grow up, or just leave one strong cane to climb?

Let everything grow. The first year is about developing the root system. Pick off any flowers and don't let it fruit.

What about 2nd year? I kno to pick of the grapes but do let all leafs and shoots grow? Its on the top rail and growing out to each side already

So if I train double trunks, I'll let grow 5-6 canes then....

Is this a question? In the second year, you can either prune down to the ground and grow one or two canes for trunks. Or select the one or two best candidates for trunks from the first year growth and prune off the rest.

Greg, In planting one of my 1st year plants, my helper removed the 4-5 leaves growing on the trunk. What problems am I now looking concerning growth or plant dying?

That will not be any real problem. The vine will simply grow new ones to replace them if it feels it needs them. Vines are very resilient and usually compensate for what we put them through. There are limits however.

Quick question if anyone is still looking at this post. Just baught a nice noble muscadine today and its leafed out like crazy but already has a nice 5 foot vine that I can already tell is going to be my main trunk. Now my questions are can I trim it now? Or let it does what ever it does until dormant season? I live in central Florida and im just training it to a chain link fence. Also if I do prune it now do I do it before or after I put it in the ground.
Thanks-james

Latest posts

Back