no fermentation.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

townie

townie
Reaction score
Hi, April 21st. I started my 22nd kit. All 21 previous were successful.
This kit 80009988 GH 9 ltr. Italian Valpola 2013024 1192374V. I started 4 days ago. I do not see any signs of fermentation yet. All steps were followed to a T. My SG before adding yeast was 1.080. Today Apr 24th, I opened the lid, checked the temperature still 24C. I gave the wine a good stir, as I read that over sulphur could cause this and to stir vigorously. I did, now I will wait another 24 hrs. This never happened to me before. Fingers crossed.:snw

add some yeast nutrient like Fermaid-k, 1 gram per gallon. another thought is that the yeast was not viable, pitch again and use go-ferm to hydrate.

Visual signs of fermentation will not always happen - take a hydrometer reading to be sure. Could be slow or just not visible.

If nothing has changed, then you will need to pitch new yeast. The causes for the yeast not working could be that it's old or was exposed to termperatures outside its comfort range. That has happened to me when I rehydrated yeast with too warm of water.

No worries, this is easy to fix.

Heather

I assume this is an RJ Spagnols kit. This link explains the meaning of the code you posted: http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3336

However, it looks to me like you dropped one digit from the date code, so we cannot determine exactly when your kit was packaged. In any event, it looks like it was from 2013. I would try a new package of yeast.

Thank you all for the replies. Paul the numbers on the Kit are from the sticker on the box. It is a Glad Hatter and there is no D at the end. Although there are numbers on the juice bag: 221/13011439 7:31 8/9L 08:109080.
Will take another sg reading and probably get new yeast and follow the hydration directions above. Wine store is closed now so tomorrow Morning.

interesting. Numbers imprinted on the edge of the Lalvin EC1118 Yeast Package end in 03 2015 So maybe the yeast expired in March 2015

Thanks everyone for your input. As recommended to me at the wine store, I added another package of yeast, yesterday. I sprinkled it on top and closed the lid. Today the airlock is bubbling like a diver with a hole in his breathing tube .:b

Last edited:
Hi all. Hope someone can help me. Same wine as started in this tread

winter poem.jpg

Last edited:
Hi again. Hope someone can help me. Same wine as Apr 21 when I started in this tread when I had No fermentation after 4 days. SSG was at 1.084. I added new yeast and fermentation started on April 26th. It is now May 9th. No more activity so I decided to stabilize and clear. Did SG reading and the SG is at 1.027. Three checks the same. The instructions read that the SG should be 1.000 or below for stabilizing and clearing. Its May 9th and I decided to replace the lid and wait a couple of more days. Any other suggestions will be appreciated?

Not sure on the chemistry, but if you've used potassium sorbate to stabilize, you will have effectively stunted the active yeast. I don't know if the sorbate will dissipate if left to set for a time or not. There's possibility that you may be able to re-pitch some yeast and nutrient to restart a fermentation. Maybe someone with knowledge/experience along this line could chime in

I have not stabilized yet. I want to get the SG below 1.000. I am at 1.027.
All I did today was check the SG with a refractometer. checked with water = 1.000. cleaned and added the wine and the wine is at 1.027. I am hoping in a few days that it will be at 1.000 or less, so that I can stabilize and add the clearing agents.

Last edited:
@cmason1957 anticipated correctly: You cannot reliably use a refractometer to measure sugar after fermentation has started. This is because the index of refraction of alcohol is different from that of water.

There is a way to account for this if you are careful and keep notes, but a hydrometer is your friend here.

Here is some good information: http://valleyvintner.com/Refrac_Hydro/Refract_Hydro.htm

Wow, I dug my hydrometer, cleaned and sanitized it. My sg with the hydrometer is 0.092. rechecked with the Refractometer and it is at 1.025.
Thanks so much cmason. Looks like I am ready to stabilize and clear after all.

LoL anyone need a refractometer jk

Last edited:
Using a refractometer: Original SG of 1.080, and current SG of 1.025 = actual current SG of 0.991

Quite a difference from defractometer to Hydrometer. Thanks again cmason, I have read the information and the study charts you posted. Thanks again and the wine smells tremendous, Can't wait til to try it.
Fred

Latest posts

Back